1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PowerDVD Ultra audio downsampling explained

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 8 Oct 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ouch, that hurts me after spending 50quid on it. It was a kick in the teeth when powerdvd told me i coudn't watch HD films on my 30" for some sill reason, that too was a kick in the teeth:(

Sam

3. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Oh course.. the funny thing is that any of the HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs that have been decrypted (nearly all of them) can be downloaded from various sources and the HD audio will work without the "protected audio path"...which will probably require a new soundcard or something.
    So pirates and "non-dmca conformists" will get a better deal than normal customers. Yet again.

4. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Load up Anydvd HD/BD all content should be uncrypted and no down sampleing on the sound unless its just an drop every thing

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

bleh more marketing bolocks eyncrpted audio path indeed... why is a sample rate higher than 48kHz needed anyway. A sample rate of twice the maximum frequancy to be sampled is all that is needed for a PERFECT reproduction and the maximum freq humans can hear is aprox 20kHz. As for 16 bits that gives us 65536 values of loudness which is also enough. The only reason you would need more is if you wanted to do some funky editing which the content restrictions prevent.

you know these DRM restrictions are making my life very inconveniant as somoen interested in electronics and audio gear even if I don't want to watch there films by restricting access to I/O and IC's and its getting on my nerves.

6. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

Read this paper from M$. It describes several DRM tech that have been/will be implemented into Vista. One of them is PAP (Protected Audio Path) which is probably what Cyberlink is hinting at. This is essentially PVP (encrypting data over PCI-E bus, supported on certain Nvidia 8000 series cards) but instead of video, you are encrypting audio. Vista already contains PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) but apparently that isn't good enough :nono:

Enjoy the Windows Vista Experience :lol::waah:

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So this means everybody who bought Vista to watch HD stuff on his PC is screwed and will have to wait for Vienna (does it support 36bit color depth at all?)? Yea, sure it's that... no marketing... no no, that's not sarcasm over here. Honestly! :eyebrow:

8. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

First off hats off to you Rich for chasing this matter up after our discussion in the gigabyte thread. Bit-tech is my number 1 tech site because of the time you guys take to answer questions in the forums and do things behind the scenes to get the answers the community asks for. Just thought I'd let you know that these things don't go unnoticed and are much appreciated :thumb::thumb::thumb: Right that's enough brown nosing from me on to the matter at hand.

The confirmation of the "bug" that downsamples all high res content indiscriminately is rather concerning given how much they tout their audio support in their marketing. A bit dishonest if you ask me.

The HTPC has such potential but it's DRM issues like these that stop it from reaching that potential. Take this thread for example where people have been crying out for an HDMI solution that supports multiple channels of high res audio and even the multiple channels from games in a way that maximises fidelity and fully takes advantage of existing technology (HDMI's been around for a good while now). The current implementations of HDMI on pcs leave a lot to be desired as they are effectively just S/PDIF over HDMI. There's no technical reason that I know of that prevents the hardware manufacturers from providing a non-handicapped HDMI implementation. It seems to all be down to an issue of DRM which screws everything up and really limits what a great HT platform the pc can be. Rant over.

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

For me its yet another reason to ignore it completely. :lol:

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well my only beef is that I got the GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2H for its advertised onboard-video playback that supports full 1080p and then after I get the board and start reading the fine print it states does not support playback of blu-ray or hd-dvd.... then whats the point >_< so bummed out, contacted Gigabyte and they states that they cant do anything until Intel released a driver that will support it >_< ugh... so I will end up having to get a dedicated graphics card after all that can support it >_< but now to hear this audio issue to so much for a HTPC with Blu-ray and hd-dvd play back.

11. swin70

swin70 What's a Dremel?

Does this scenario still hold true? Can a HTPC still not output full resolution audio and video?

I am in the throws of building an HTPC as the centre of my Media home. This will be connected to a Pioneer Kuro 42" Plasma and a Yamaha DSP-AX863 AV Receiver, which has a 5.1 surround speaker set-up. I was looking at integrating a Blu-ray player into the system, but if the system can't output full resolution audio and video, all of a sudden I'm beginning to think this might not be the way to go.

How are things progressing on this front?

Cheers.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

really a non-issue.. I've worked with digital audio for a long time and 48k stereo is overkill- music back in the day on cd was released at 44.1k 16-bit, you can't even hear frequencies that high (I'd say frequencies around 32khz with really sensitive ears are possible- the rest your getting into dog whistle land)

I've generated sine waves up in those frequencies and was unable to hear them with a good set of tweeters.. your not missing out on anything

13. swin70

swin70 What's a Dremel?

Whilst I accept that audio frequencies above a certain level (commonly 20kHz) are regarded as in-audible to the human ear, and the 192kHz sampling is capable of reproducing much higher frequencies (192/2)kHz, it also means that "normal" frequencies are sampled more often gaining a higher degree of accuracy.

The debate of this one has and will go on for years. Certainly, in audio test, i have heard differenced between 48 kHz and 96 kHz audio - how this is possible I don't know - but many other people feel/hear the difference too. Grated I couldn't tell the difference between 96 and 192 kHz!

Tags: Add Tags