1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Problems with ASP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phat Ass, 5 Jun 2009.

1. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Trying to make a simple website with a form and a submit button that saves the form output to a text file. The forms got 3 radio button selections and a checkbox plus a text box, like I said, simple :).

I've looked around at ways to do this and i've not found anything that really helps. Much as i've found how to pages on it, my crapness with this hasnt helped me get it working. So much so, i dont even know what you need to know to help, short of a code dump.

The errors i'm getting are compilation errors and i'm betting its because i'm missing something obvious. So, given my hacky attemt is probably dire and buggered anyway, could someone suggest what i need to put in to the code for a buttom that already updates a label in the page so that the same text from the tabel will be output to a file.

Cheers

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

You say ASP, do you meal classic ASP? If so are you using vbScript or javaScript?

You say "updating a label" and compilation errors, so let's assume you're using ASP.NET and let's assume you're using C#.

So what you need to learn about is.....

- How .NET web forms work and how data is posted back to the calling page.
    - How to write out any data to a web form.

Split this leaning exercise into two then do the merge.

- Exercise 1 - Add a second label to your working page, get the data going to label1 to also display on label2
    - Exercise 2 - Write some brand new code (brand new .aspx page) which writes out some fixed data ("Hello World" is a good start) to a text file (Ask Mr Google how to do this)
    - Exercise 3 - Now you'll know where your data is in your form and you'll know how to write out some data to a text file, so put the two together.

3. Phat Ass

Worry not :), i've got through most of the problems with the help of a mate and he's going to take another look tomorrow to check theres no loose ends and suggest more bits i can do to the site. Cheers for the help :)

4. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

You sorted on this?

5. Phat Ass

I did get it sorted as much as needed yeah, cheers :)