1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics RX 580 died?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 10 Sep 2021.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Good morning chaps,

I use an OEM RX 580 (www.amazon.com/AMD-Radeon-GDDR5-Video-Graphics/dp/B07CV2TD4W).

This morning both my monitors suddenly went black, but the system didn't appear to reset.

I could switch the monitors on but was met with a no signal received message.

Different display ports on both the GPU and the monitors - nothing.
    Different cables - nothing.
    I cleared CMOS - nothing.

Luckily I'm using a now ancient GA-Z77N-WIFI which has an IGU.

Plugged an HDMI into the IGU - nothing.

Fully removed my RX580 and plugged an HDMI into the IGU - bingo!

So, is my 580 dead? Anything I can do with it?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it does sound like the card is dead, Fuss.

Here's hoping it could be just the display output aspects are dead. I wonder if you can still mine on it?
    Set your BIOS to use iGPU as primary GPU, then you should be able to install dGPU but plug into mobo iGPU and get a display. Now run a mining program (like Nicehash) and see if it detects the dGPU.

The last thing to try, using iGPU displayout, DDU everything AMD related. Then see if you can get anything on your display with the dGPU installed. Here, Windows will use generic display driver which are designed to work without fancy features provided by AMD/nVidia drivers.
    Although if you can't even see POST screen or BIOS through dGPU.........

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Thanks Wyxy, but I seem to have solved it!

Got it working with different PCI-E power cable in a different socket in the PSU. Thank god it's a modular PSU.

I don't know if it's a bad cable, a bad socket on the PSU, or if the PSU is dying (it's an original corsair AX850 that I've had in several systems for a long time!). I don't intend to experiment and find out though, just going to live in happy ignorance until something breaks!

wyx087 likes this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Ah yes, power supply problems. The GPU fans should go max speed like during initial boot-up when this happens and it goes into some sort of safe mode.

If it's that old, might be time for a new PSU.....

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I'm going to buy a whole new system soon, might even go pre-built given the gpu prices at the moment.

wyx087 likes this.