1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seagate Harddrive Corruption Cycle

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mrb_no1, 27 Sep 2008.

1. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

Ello people,

I've googled the problem and even ran seatools to try and fix it but here is the problem. I recently installed an old sata2 hdd from my rig onto my folks to backup their documents and photos etc. A few weeks in and now the folders on the drive are inacessable. Everyother time it boots, windows says they are corrupt and unreadable. So i run chkdsk, or let windows figure it out for itself so that the next boot it will run chkdsk before loading windows entirely...once it has run chkdsk sometimes for that session it runs perfectly, or it will screw up randomly and require chkdsk to be run again. Short of an rma with seagate, what might i be able to do to fix this corruption, all data is backed up so no fears there but i've read of low level formats on other forums (noteably very old forums requiring windows 98 and a floppy drive for their instructions) so i thought i'd post on here and see if anyone has a solution. Even if its a how to on a low level format i'd be greatful.

thankyou in advance for any tips!

peace

fatman

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have a go with UBCD - that has a bucketload of hard drive tools, including low-level formatting tools.

Most usefully, it has diagnostic tools for most HD manufacturers, and an awesome bad sector scanning/repairing utility too. :)

3. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

thanks, i used active killdisk and did the zero and one format on it(i think thats qhat its called) but after then putting documents on it and rebooting it soon became corrupt again. Thanks for your help krikkit, but i am now going to send it back to seagate to fix. cheers

fatman