1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other This will make you angry (Alan Titchmarsh Show on videogames)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 23 Mar 2010.

1. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I've heard plenty of theories about why the smoking ban was brought in, including that it was done to close down local pubs and make lessen the administrative workload at our tax offices (apparently the big chains like Weatherspoons knew about it early and got geared up to serve food). Personally, I think it's more to do with EU pressure, just like many other laws. Last I heard the Dutch had it about right though, apparently you can still smoke inside so long as it's in a separate room with no food or drink being served. That way, customers can smoke if they choose but employees aren't forced to be around it.

OT, I think I saw this or another discussion like this on Titchmarsh not that long ago. I didn't watch it back then because it made my blood boil, and I've officially banned the douche from our TV. As others have said, ITV have gone down. I remember their news coverage of a big protest a few months back (can't remember which off the top of my head) and they were completely biased towards the law enforcement while the protesters you could see on screen were almost all completely civilised and even one of their cameramen was being overly aggressively treated by police officers. I don't think there is anything that I watch now on ITV, it only really goes on for the other half's shows.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Oh dear, just watched this...

I felt so sorry for the guy representing gaming, talk about being the bad guy...

3. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

I have made an official complaint with ITV. This is just down right disgusting behavior.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Am I stooping to their level if I call them retards ? Because I really feel like doing so

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

I don't watch much TV but WTF is Alan Titchmarsh doing presenting a talk show? Get back in the garden and prune my begonias, you green fingered ****!

Poor Tim...he's the only one (possibly in the entire studio) who actually knows what he's talking about, yet he's portrayed as the bad guy. But it's the same old story, the guys in the industry get scrutinised when the blame actually lies with the parents. I still remember all the kerfuffel with games like Doom and Leisure Suit Larry, both of which are games for adults.
    But even then, I've played my fair share of violent games, watched a hell-of-a-lot of 18 rated films and have done since I was a little kid, but not once have I ever acted out anything in real life that I've played/seen. If a videogame causes a kid to flip out, then there's something wrong with the kid, not the game. Maybe it's a deep-routed psychological problem, maybe it's just bad/lazy parenting.

The video really did piss me off! They're idiots, the lot of them. I mean, did this show really need to exist? What are they hoping to achieve? Maybe they should team up with Jack Thompson...

6. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

This.

Any broadcaster that gives Kelvin MacKenzie a platform for comment on contemporary issues should be ashamed of themselves. It is somewhat intriguing that he should highlight the Bulger case. Probably trying to make up for the slur on Liverpool he helped create back in 1989.

I'm quite comfortable with it really. I agree parents need to be responsible for what they give to their kids. Programmes like this are not going to change government opinion on the matter so its fine for us adult gamers. If it helps parents make a judgement on what is appropriate for their kids good.

I'm rambling now but if you want to see the benefits of ICT in education check out http://olliebray.typepad.com

I feel particularly sorry for the CandVG guy having to defend MW2, ****ing gief proper servers for PC :D

7. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Much credit to Tim, he puts it out there how it REALLY is... To the rest of them, get a clue.

I will say, that I play a vast majority of 'violent' games, including Fallout 3, Crysis, Modern Warfare, MW2, Battlefield 2, Assassing's Creed (1 and 2), Batman Arkham Asylum, Battlestations Pacific, Command & Conquer, Company of Heroes, EVE, Frontlines Fuel of War, Half-Life 2... You know it would be easier to give a short list of games I play that DON'T include violence.

That being said, I work as an armed guard full time, and do not in any way ever feel like I want to just start shooting people... I know the difference between real-world scenarios and games. On top of that I will also say that the experiences I have had with violence in games has given me more respect for the power of the weapon that I carry every day, and I believe this to be true with at least a few of my co-workers as well. I would much rather someone learn about violence through a video game than the alternatives. For those that say people shouldn't be subjected to violence in any way shape or form, let go of the tree and realize that the world is full of, and will always be full of violence. Better to be prepared though in-game experiences than not have any clue.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is a bit outrageous to be honest. 3 people yelling down someone's throat basically, and yelling baseless facts.

The biggest fear I have like a few others here is the whole ignorance on the part of others, and the fact that that woman gained approval of the audience by saying she disapproves of violence. Is this how ignorant the world has become?

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

The world really is full of stupid people... Sad really.

PegasusM likes this.
  10. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I think that is a brilliant idea and I am going to do the same.

Well, I sent them a complaint. Over 700 words, not written anything like that since my A levels!
    I'm sure no one over at ITV will actually care but it feels good to voice my opinion.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2010
  11. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

If you're afraid of the realism of violence in war games then you should be very very concerned about the realism of violence in actual war. In fact maybe we should get rid of the armed forces all together, it's just too realistic. Promotes aggression.

12. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

I went one better and put in a complaint to OfCom. Got a reply from them too and whilst they did agree with a couple of my points, they basically sided with ITV. Might as well not have bothered.

13. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

He's a freaking TV gardener and cartoon gnome!!!!!

No wonder the stupid fool doesn't know about gaming.

Notice how his name starts with "Tit" !

14. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

Alan Titchmarsh is a gardener for goodness sake! what is he doing with a television show which isn't about him de-weeding a garden??!?!?!

Furthermore what on earth does he know about gaming? I hate when i see the government and the media attack the gaming industry blaming them for the violence of kids. For a start, kids who commit violent crimes or vandalism aren't gamers...do you know why i have proof? because they would be at home gaming! the whole argument makes no point. Why dont they blame Hollywood and the kung fu movies for all the shootings, stabbings and bar fights?

dusted.

15. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

In all honesty, sure the woman knows nothing and is a typical mother - my mum has exactly the same viewpoint on videogames being evil, as does my dad who refuses to believe anything productive comes from them.

Thats beside the point though. I felt that the Games journalist did a very good job, and managed to contain all of their points that they raised. It did sound slightly like someones mentioned, the BNP on question time, but I dont think anyone can say that he didnt do a bloody good job in that situation - games are regulated by the industry, but not regulated by the parents. Back when i was 13, everyone who owned a PS2 owned GTA. None of the parents knew what it contained, but a number had had it removed after witnessing the content.

16. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

I think they should redo this with a more neutral presenter and a 3v3 debate, not 2/3v1.

17. kovacs

kovacs What's a Dremel?

i was in game the other week and warned a well dressed and articulate mother that the game her son wanted her to buy for him modern warfare 2 was unsuitable for him, he looked about 12.She looked at me and said its only a game.So i let her queue and when she got to the till informed the cashier who she was buying the game for, they refused sale.the look on her face was picture.Parents seem to think if its a video game its ok

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The only thing people can complain about are the parents who don't abide to the age ratings of games. If they're concerned about their cherubs getting the games from elsewhere then that is also down to parenting to explain why they shouldn't be playing them.

Violent video games do not make me angry, ignorance makes me angry.