1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Transparent LCD Screen?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by redders, 10 Feb 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Is it possible to get a few pics of this? What size LCD did you take apart?

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Sorry. It's in the garbage at work now.

This was just an LCD from a table clock. The screen was almost identical to the one in the OP. It just didn't show week number.

If I get the time I'll try the same on a laptop LCD (Probably 14" or 15") and get some pictures of it.

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Excellent. Thanks!

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I'm in the process of chatting to Thierry Farobbia from planar systems (see the img below for what they make) asked him if it was possible to create a scrren to show temps, fan speeds, logos etc and he sent this in reply;

"Please could you let me know more information on content you would like to play on this screen? Logo? Emoticones? Full matrix? Number of lines and columns?

Our technology is only monochrome (amber colour)."

So I think its defiantly possible.. just sent he email back to him so hopefully there should be a quote hitting the in box by tomorrow.

[​IMG]

ps. if the laptop de screening idea works i can see the prices of ps1 screens going wooooosh lol

Ok and now here's how they work, all a bit over my head so if anyones able to break it down into simpleton language for us mere mortals that would be smashing :)

Thin Film EL Displays

Thin film electroluminescent displays (TFEL) are based on depositing
    insulating layers and light emitting phosphor layer between transparent and
    metal electrodes (Picture 1). Typically a thin fi lm EL display is built on 1.1
    mm thick soda lime glass substrate (size 195 mm x 265 mm) and encapsulated
    with 1.1 mm thick cover glass. Light is generated by exiting Mn atoms in ZnS
    phosphor with an applied AC voltage. The exiting voltage can be sinusoidal or
    pulse waveform.
    Each time when a voltage of approximately 200V is applied, a short light
    pulse with less than 1 ms decay time constant is generated and thus brightness
    is roughly proportional to the driving frequency. In typical matrix display
    applications the driving frequency can generate up to 150 cd/m2. Higher
    brightness is achievable for small matrix displays or segmented displays. Due to
    the true solid state structure, all EL displays are inherently rugged and capable
    of handling wide temperature ranges and wide viewing angles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Feb 2009
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

A temporary setback here.

I found a screen here that actually have a glossy surface. (Which mean that it would be clear when it's not showing something.)

Unfortunately the controller on that one is broken. I remembered this AFTER hooking it up to my laptop. This resulting in a leakage of the magic blue smoke on the motherboard. Again. Now I have to replace the motherboard... again... :duh:

I'll try to get it fixed sometime next week. I'll also try to get a working glossy screen as well. :)

6. Aravinda

Aravinda Aravinda

Regarding transparent lcd

I am looking for making transparent lcd too. I am not an electronic guy so would need help.
    Is it possible to make my old laptop screen fully transparent? Is there any link on how/do's/dont's ?
    Can anyone help me?
    Editor22 , can u forward the person's email id ?

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I would be very cool to put some kinda reflective backing so it looks like a mirror until you turn it on

Or use it as a window into the computer case(if you keep your case on top of your desk)

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you accidentally rip the polariser off, you can just replace it. Polarising film is fairly cheap.

9. Johnny71

Johnny71 What's a Dremel?

As the years have passed by, have anyone found a good solution? Any models that are for sale, say 15"-17"? Thanks