1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Upgading CPU in toshiba a200 1vp Possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 13eightyfour, 29 Dec 2007.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

So i bought a Toshiba A200 1VP in the sales, and while there is nothing wrong with it im the kind of person who likes to tinker :D , ive done some searching on the internal specs of the laptop and if im correct its has a c2d t5250 with the Intel® GM965 Express + ICH8M motherboard, But i cant find any information on whether the processor is "socketed" or soldered to the board, or even if it is swappable? ive been looking on scan and they stock both 478 and 479 processors of various speeds will any of these fit or work? Ive tried my best to locate any info on this so am throwing it open to you guys for ideas.

thanks in advance any help would be appreciated:thumb:

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Have a quick look with wcpuid/Cpu-Z, i believe it will be a socketed 479 cpu.

3. 13eightyfour

just installed cpuz and get this:

NAME: Intel mobile core 2 duo
    CODENAME: Merom
    PACKAGE: Socket P (478)

so does this mean in theory that i can install a faster processor? Just checked wiki for socket P and eventhough it has 478 pins it isnt pin compatable with socket M or SOCKET 478 :confused:

Think i better ask some retailers if there mobile c2d chips are socket p then :sigh:

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

5. 13eightyfour

ok think ill send ocuk an email in the morning just to check. I have just one more question though, all the info i can find on the gm965 chipset leads me to "santa rosa" however my processor is rated by intel themselves as 667mhz FSB whereas santa rosa is 800mhz is this just toshiba using a lower powered processor? and will an 800mhz processor cause problems if i install say a T7300 which on ocuk's site states that it is compatable with the 965 chipset and socket P, forgive me for sounding like a newb but i really dont know alot about laptop tech.

thanks