1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vibration reducing drive suspensions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theflinger, 9 Feb 2005.

1. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

My new WD raptor unfortunately isn't even coming close to working with the supplied case hd brackets, so instead of making some sketchy rig, I was thinking of just spending the bucks for a vibration reducing suspension system.

http://silentpcreview.com/article39-page1.html

Anybody seen products like that, I'd prefer a more recent one :) if at NewEgg it'd be excellent but it's fine if not. or thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

2. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

What is wrong with the fit, couldn't a Dremel do the job?

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

The silencer you gave a link to doesn't look very high quality at all....

However, since Raptors are known to scream louder than banshee's, and it won't fit anyway, I suggest getting a silencer. I would look for one that completely encloses the drive, though, and then has a fan blowing on it.

4. theflinger

I was thinking of that.

Actually the bracket does fit...I don't want to tell you what I was doing wrong it's so embarassing...Funny how little sleep can affect you doing something you've done a dozen times...haha....

Still looking into it...I'm not sure that my case will readily accept the suspension ones where my fans are (because not being connected to the chassis raises temp)...I'd rather not get a full enclosure...not sure why :/

Thanks

5. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

If the drive itself vibrates you need to stop it from doing that or the bearings will suffer. If you have two 5.25" bays next to each other available mount the drive on top of a nice steel brick, just the size of a CD-ROM drive (about 10kg). Mount it hard using the bottom screw holes (drill clearance holes through brick). Steel washers for a little clearance are OK, but no sissy stuff like rubber grommets. Use only 3 screws so the drive case doesn't warp if the steel isn't all flat. Then mount the steel block in the case with rubber grommets and Nylon screws.
    The steel block will keep the drive from making all the little bounces and the grommets will keep residual vibrations from the case.

6. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

the "novibes" bracket will work fine. but why not make it yourself? it is very easy and much cheaper. takes you about half an hour. search the guides on this or other forums to see if you find it.

7. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

8. theflinger

yeah I looked at that site a lot...Couldn't figure out a way to do it where my airflow was without serious dremely. Course I have no dremel or skills.

Since my compy is already loud and I always play music, I'll see how it goes once I install the raptor. Right now I'm just trying to sort out all the problems I keep hearing about with my Asus a7n8x deluxe and the Raptor and winxp :thumb:

Thanks guys

9. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

The full enclosures are usually recommended for drives of 7200rpm and below. AFAIK Raptors run at 10000rpm which puts them out of the running though you could experiment yourself.