1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista Install Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by saxman, 10 Jul 2008.

1. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I just received my copy of windows Vista Home Premium x64. I sit down pop the disk into the drive boot my machine. Everything goes well It makes it through the first loading bar and the Microsoft windows green scroll. It splashes the Blue/green screen and sits there with an active mouse. Nothing else no activity obvious on the HDD indicator no activity from the DVD drive. Any thoughts?

2. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Previous installs have sometimes sat on that screen for 20-30 minutes before with the mouse staying active and nothing else. It was 64 bit hardware but not the newest or fastest so I chalked it up to that, low ram too Im sure.

3. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

yup same, i've sat and watched that screen for aaaages before anything happened

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Tried installing with only 2GB ram, if you have 4GB installed?

Also, is it installing on a sata drive? Try setting the sata mode in bios to ide instead of ahci (if it's set to that).

5. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

well
    after waiting for about 10 minutes on the screen it started up installed easily and I am quite enjoying vista. I also did have 4 gb of ram and new hardware all sata wasn't at all a problem after the initial wait. thank you for the comments though. any clue as to why it likes to just sit there?

6. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

It sounds like it is kind of a hardware detection stage and it seems to happen to a lot of other people as well even after they have been using the OS for a few rounds and a driver update usually fixed it. So the installer is probably playing "which hardware are you?" game with your kit and waiting until it gets it all right. It makes sense to me as I've never had to actually do anything hardware related during an install and most things worked right out of the box when the install was finally done with the exception of better driver updates through the windows update tool shortly after. I could be totally wrong though... Google didn't give as much help as normal.

Tags: