1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster WD 120 GIG 7200 RPM shatter...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stuntman, 10 Apr 2005.

1. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

*sigh* alright guys, heres my story, flame away! =D

Well, I got me one of those nifty 120 gig wd hd's. There it is, pluged it in, installed windows, ect... Its been running for close to 6 months now, and started making some funny noises. I desided "Hell! Why not bang on the side of the case to keep the platters from vibrating!" (thats not EXACTLY what I was thinking, but pretty close.) Anyway, it worked. However, from that day till today, I had to bang on the side of my case to get the hardrive to stop making noises. However... today, lmao... today was a different story. Let me tell you the story..

*gets home* *powers up compter* "Oh my, what would that horrendous sound be!?" *bangs on side of case* *shattering and grinding sound* "OH MOTHER OF ****!" *power off* *takes off side of computer* *turns over the hd and hears slight tingling sound as bits of the platers flop around on the inside*

Well, never the less, I think Ive learned my lesson... Never apply force to hd data platters when they are spinning at 7200 RPMS. =( worse of all, that was my main drive. Oh well. :waah:

2. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

A same kind of situation happened to me during a play acted by some kids in my school, I did the mics and speakers. Every 6 minutes the music distorted, so a guy next to me banged the audio mixer and everything worked fine :hip: .
    I kept on doing this every time the music distorted, untill at the end of the play I found out the wires between the cd player and mixer where loose. And since then the mixer acts weird. :wallbash: :duh: :D

3. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

remember. your hhd's are the most importnant in your comp. crash it an you are F***** up. i have ****ed up an 200 gig hdd too :wallbash: and that was my master disk

4. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

There you have a lesson.

Punching or kicking something won't fix it, don't be lazy and if possible repair it, or in the case of the HDD, backup and RMA. :)

5. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

glass platters i assume? neat, if its not still under warrenty open it up and take pictures

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

last I knew, glass didn't hold magnetic polarity too well. I'd have to guess iron, nickel or cobalt as they're the three magnetic materials.

But... yeah... don't do that to hard drives.

7. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

i think the platters are covered with a magneting coating. they use glass because it can be made much smoother on the microscopic level than alluminum, it doenst expand as much due to heat, and can be made thinner

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

yeah, they were metal. I have no idea how the hell I coulda broken them though. >_< Must been screwed from the start, or developed cracks or something.

Sorry guys, I cant open it up. I can at least TRY to RMA it...

9. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

hope they'll let you

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Just don't tell them that for the past 6 months, you've been giving it a good, daily banging.

11. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

Hehe take some pictures of the warzone :hehe:

Sucks yeah, even if your hdd makes a sound, bring it to the shop and see if you can get warrenty over it.

Now you're screwed I guess :rolleyes:

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That sounds rather rude... :D

In any case, I do not endorse RMA'ing a product that has met its untimely demise just because you, in essence, treated it well outside its specifications (i.e. smacked the **** out of it). Treat this as an object lesson and move on. If your HDD makes an irritating noise, don't hit it, mod its suspension! :dremel:

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

This one's a fine line. The problem began as a hardware defect, but ultimately the drive failed because...well, he beat the living **** out of it... I'm another that votes a good whack on the head (no pun intended, can't say I've smacked a hard drive before...) can sometimes fix electronics. Specially old VCR's that give fuzzy picture. A good smack upside the case usually clears the picture right up.

I would call them RMA department, explain your situation, and see what they say. At least then you're being totally up front with them, and it rests on their hands to make the *ethics* decision.

Tis unfortunant though :(

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Aluminum? What aluminum? And any matrerial could be theoretically made just a few atoms thick. I've opened a (dead) hard drive, and the platters are most certainly entirely metal. A fairly weighty one at that.

15. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

some newer drives are glass cored platers, they polish smoother then metal and allow the heads to fly closer the the plater. btw good luck explaining your matainance shedule (going upside their heads!!!) to Western Digital.

One of of my hard drives in my server makes a wogger-wogger noise but im no sure which :wallbash:

16. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I can attest to the validity of the platters in some newer drives being made of glass. I work in a Government IT department, and part of my job is disposing of older systems.

Basically, we have a little tool that we run to wipe the hard drives. However every once and a while I get a drive that the tool won't run on, wether it's from a head crash, or if I just want a new magnet ;)

In any case, I was disassembling an IBM deskstar, and removing the internal components. Usually I would pass a magnet over the platters and bend them to prevent anyone from retrieving any data from it, but when I tried to bend the platter of the IBM drive.....*SMASH* I get little shards of glass flying up at my face, and all over my arms. Luckily I managed not to get cut anywhere, but from now on, I'm VERY careful when destroying a drive.

17. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Heh, My HD makes the same noise.... *shrugs*

18. advance

advance What's a Dremel?

lesson: it never works like it does in themovies.

19. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Lol, unlucky bud. Didn't it acure to you that hitting a hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm will cause damage? :jawdrop: :D

20. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

have seen hard drives with broken platters most of the time that is caused by over heating and abuse.