Windows What is your favourite level/mission from any game, ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 3 Jan 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Time Splitters Siberia.

2. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

A lot of stuff mentiuoned here is also my favs, Start of Half Life, Completing ME trilogy, UT map with the skyscrapers, omaha beach in COD.

My most recent as to be in planetside 2, drop podding with my outfit, 20+pods streakign out of the sky, night battles, just so many awesome scenes in that game.

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Best mission/quest in a game?

Killing the Butcher in Diablo 1.

*runs over and opens door* *Butcher pops out the door and starts chasing you*
    NOPE!NOPE!NOPE!NOPE!NOPE!
    *Hauls ass everywhich way and eventually hides inside a jail cell*

Favourite maps?
    CS: de_dust (1 & 2) cs_office
    UT: Facing Worlds, and the horseshoe spaceship stage.
    MohAA: theres a snow map thats pretty much an open forest with plenty of sniper nests.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Psycho Mantis has to be at least an honorable mention for anyone who's played MGS. Shockingly clever and daring, and a good laugh once you figure it out.

I wasn't quite as blown away by the sniper section as most, but it certainly was a pretty unique and exciting thing for the time. And the AC130 mission! That was a treat.

Many of the multiplayer maps really stick in my mind as well. Overgrown was probably my favorite, loved the way it balanced close quarters combat on one side with long range combat on the other side and the large grassy area worked well with the ghillie suits for snipers (a fairly new thing at the time!).

Speaking of multiplayer maps, I've probably got Camp Gibraltar from BF2142 memorized like the back of my hand. The long, narrow layout and Conquest Assault game type made for an awesome battle as the front lines steadily moved back into the EU territory, or as the PAC were stonewalled at the beach-head. It also made excellent use of vertical space with many climbable multi-level buildings, ramps and bridges.

And one probably controversial favorite is Magister's Terrace from World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. This dungeon was a bit different from dungeons of the past, it was designed to be more difficult with improved loot to match. Every pull was a challenge to look forward to and all of the bosses were unique and memorable, particularly with Kael'thas as the final boss.

5. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Call of Duty. World at War (the one with all the grenades!) - Eviction level.

You come out of a building right into the street and the mother of all battles is raging, first time I did it I just crouched behind a barracade and watched in amazment at all the mayhem going on, tank battles, gun battles, rockets shooting overhead, buildings collapsing and with lightning/thunderflashes lighting the scene up every now and then and with all the noise it has a great atmosphere, WTF, it was even more intense than the D-Day landing in Medal of Honour.
    I played World at War again recently and it's still a landmark level for me. :hip:
    It's the first 3.30 in the the video which is not mine and doesn't really do it justice but you get the idea.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2013
  6. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Deleted because of double post probably cause the server was busy around 12.00.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2013
  7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

WaW had some fantastic setpieces.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Got a lot of hate but easily my favourite COD.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Really was, was the spec ops: The Line before spec ops the line.

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I loved the passage to Pripyat in STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Anomalies left right and centre, Monolith zombies shooting from high ledges, and the feel of being in a tunnel deep underground trying to get to another city. Oh how I love that game. the NPP in STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl was also pretty cool, although I haven't finished it yet since I ran out of bandages and medkits just before coming out of the NPP, so I think I may be screwed.

11. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Apricot Hill

12. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I actually lol'd :D

Me and friend used to play this together, one would 'steer' and the other would control potion consumption! Opening the door for the Butcher when you were only level 5 was a death wish!

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Mission 02 for Allies, Good mission, but a little tedious.

I don't have a particular favourite, but the whole of RA2 is my favourite.

Sam

14. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

FF7.

The world and setting, especially (SPOILER) before Aeris dies (/end SPOILER)

Once your out running around the world the settings become a bit darker but that early atmosphere in the railroad sections will always be the first thing that come to mind when I think about favorite levels or games.

15. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

The final battle against Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time.

Also many parts of the entire Halflife trilogy.

16. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I don't play that many games these days, but the one I would say is my favourite would be Four Leaf Clover from GTA IV.

17. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

+1

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looking back, I feel 2142 was a bit ahead of its time.. It was a brilliant game I thought, but never really got picked up very well, and everyone just sort of went back to BF2... If it came out thesedays with BLOPS II's futuristic outlook, it'd go down a storm..

And i saw a suggestion of bringing in a modern form of Titan mode to BF4.. which I think would be excellent... It could be storming an Aircraft carrier as one titan, and something like a nuclear reactor control room as the other.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have been gaming for so long by now, there are MANY in this list. Some that spring to mind:

COD2 - the "running up the hill and holding it mission". I think it's that one. The one that seems hopeless until the fighters come in, and you have the WW2-movie dialog:
    "Who the f*** are they?" - "Guardian Angels, son...".
    It was one of the first times that a game really felt like a movie. No "go here to trigger sequence" effects, just smoothly integrated.

Vietcong - the Very last stage.
    The whole situation was completely overwhelming. Too many enemies, too little ammo, and the enemy is coming like ants. You're frantically running, falling back, and then there's the end, which screams Full Metal Jacket.

UT '99 DM-Morpheus.
    I have spent years of my life on that map.
    Same goes for UT2004's version of DM-Deck17.

Unreal - the introduction of the Skaarj... utterly terrifying.

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

The butcher can't open doors.....so open the door, run into a room which you can shoot arrows into then close the door behind you. Then chip away with arrows until dead!

First memory that comes to mind is HL2:EP2 final battle against a tonne of striders and beating them with the magnusson device. Clever use of physics, accuracy, skill, time pressure, panic and a giant map to run around that evolved as it got destroyed and resources dwindled. A boss level that was more than a bullet sponge boss. Heart thumpingly exciting and I immediately reloaded the level just to play it through again.