1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Will the Xbox 720 kill off second hand gaming?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

As other people have said here, ditching optical drives is dumb, their cheap to make, very reliable and most importantly give an opportunity for backwards compatibility.
    Unless Microsoft have some amazing idea that makes disk based xbox360 games playable on a non disk based machine then their going to have a hard time selling it.
    I can still hear the PS3 users screaming when they found out a large portion of their PS2 games wouldn't work.

2. veato

veato I should be working

3. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

This would probably be the day I stopped buying Xbox games, or at the very least drastically cut down the amount I buy. Not because I mind paying full prices (I usually buy games branch new nowadays and hardly ever buy used games any more) but because I simply don't trust MS to sell me games at a fair price under a monoploy. XBLA games have increased in price since launch, GoD titles are sold for more than you can buy a new copy from retailers and microtransactions have never been anything of the sort since launch. They will gouge and gouge and gouge without grasping that Steam's success owes a lot to the good prices they offer (perceived or otherwise). The sad thing is that they will more than likely get away with it. It's worked so far hasn't it? For every one person who will not pay for overpriced goods and DLC there must be several people who are lapping it up otherwise the continuing upward trend in prices would've halted about 2 years ago.

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Personally, this is one aspect of the gaming industry that infuriates me.

We can see second hand books, DVDs, CDs, and usually other software. So why are they allowed to stop us selling games?

I think it would be sensible to put protection in place to prevent one person from installing s/w, selling it, and continuing to use it. I think it would be acceptable to require a small admin charge to transfer ownership.

The argument from the big publishers is that you don't own the software, you merely purchase the right to use it under certain restrictions, but there is no reason why we can't force them to change this. OK, it's naive to think this will ever happen - governments will be heavily lobbied by the publishers, and it would take half a generation to change - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have a crack.

5. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

If it's not optical, maybe we shall see a return of cartridge based media?

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

7. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I also think it may also deter the next generation of gamers getting onboard. My 10 year old saves his pocket money and buys games that cost £10-15. I don't think he would save up if he had to save up to 30- 35, and he may lose intrest in consoles full stop and won't buy new titles when he is at the age when he has disposable income.

8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Maybe Microsoft will opt for a new really popular format, something like hd-dvd

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That article references the same original source this one does. It's still only come from one original location: MVC, and that's only rumour.

I'm not saying it definitely isn't true, but I'm tempted to believe it when I see it.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Did anyone think of the other option yet besides integrated optical drive and no optical drive at all? that other option being the selling of a optical drive as a paid extra? hardware dlc if you want to say so xD

Anyway, I don't think they'll go digital distribution exclusive soon, despite the success of steam, netflix, itunes and so on pc games, movies and music all haven't gone digital distribution exclusive either, so why should consoles?

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

You know this shouldnt be an issue. If game where as cheap as they are on steam then the 2nd hand market mor or less disappears. Heck if you wanna trade its handled without the threat of the heavens falling and all life ending as we know it.

If you really must keep a relic of the high street failure alive an use disks then tell them to become relevant and actually offer something downloads cannot, customer service and satisfaction. Either way game is dead, amazon and ebay will become the champions of physical media, competion continues an life goes own. Even if physical media disappears, only game and gamestation are truely affected and by offering a market they again could be competitive. Seriously, as PC gamers, who cares what way companies shaft idiot console tards

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  12. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I love blu-ray for games on ps3. Not having more than 1 disc is great. I do wish they would do something about the load times though on the next system, all that data is great but when you spend more time waiting at a loading screen then it's kinda sucky no matter how much game there is to play. Maybe we can start getting games on lil flash drives instead!!!

13. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

waves! well it will be a 120Mb soon :D :thumb:

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  14. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

15. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

It took me six years to get a 360. If they are serious about no optical drive at all then the choices are a new phoneline at £125 for ADSL or resubbing to Virgin Media only as long as they don't cap the speed or traffic for what will be ever-increasing game downloads. That's before you even get into the size of any explicit cap, 60Gb with Plusnet is OK at the moment but stream too much iplayer and that's easily broken.

Can't see many hardcore early adopters in areas where the broadband is shaky.

16. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I bought GTA IV through Steam not so terribly long ago, and it took 18 hours to download. Granted, my 1.5Mbps DSL sucks, but my options are limited...and I live 5 minutes north of downtown of the largest city in the Pacific NW (and I mean downtown proper - the view off my deck is the Space Needle, 6 blocks away.) So until I can get the 20Mbps the phone company keeps teasing (get it now! Oh, sorry, we didn't mean in your neighborhood), not interested in d/l only.

Not only that, but I have to think the DOJ would be taking a long, hard look at MS again if they tried to switch to an all-in-one model, where you're buying not only the console, but all the software through them, too. I want a Steam sort of model, but not run by MS. They'd have the money coming in from all directions - licensing to dev for the console, cut of the revenue on what's sold through their marketplace...no, their asses would land back in court 5 minutes after the console launched. Maybe if Game/GameStop/etc can survive that long, they best start cutting a deal with the console manufacturers to run those marketplaces, online and in cut-down retail locations with kiosks.

All that said, GameStop/used record stores are why I never felt bad about all those 'Linux distros' I [totally legitimately] torrented - so I don't have to pay the publisher/developer/distributor/ultra-powerful trade group? I just have to hand money to somebody for the product? Is that what you're telling me? Is it that I'm takin their jerbs?

17. jamesd1981

jamesd1981 What's a Dremel?

What a disgrace all this talk of forcing the stop of 2nd hand sales, sites like ebay and gumtree and based for 2nd hand selling, people have been selling and trading 2nd hand goods of all types for centuries.

For the game makers crying that the sale of 2nd hand games is crippling their profits, if a game is available to buy 2nd hand that means it has already been purchased new, so they have had their money. !

Typical of the worlds attitude at the moment more and more rights for companies and big business, less and less rights for individuals.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

most people who buy second hand games would not buy the game brand new anyway

so its not technically a lost sale

second hand market on dvd blue ray is thriving, PS vita market will soon grow. They are trying so hard to break a market that doesnt really effect them.

Tesco and its ilk sell brand new games cheaper than you can get them second hand in most cases

play.com for example had anno 2070 on sale a few days back for £8 its £35 + on steam still

Asda was selling ffx13 x 2 for £22 game had it at £45 and £38 for pre owned

19. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

they will most likely cash in even further by bringing out the console without an optical drive but then charge you 70 quid for an official xbox backwards compatibility DVD drive that is ugly as sin sitting ontop of this new sleek console!

20. Dr Dark

Dr Dark What's a Dremel?

... They're bringing back BETAMAX.. lol

Well, you DID say they were getting rid of the OPTICAL drive...; :p

Tags: Add Tags