1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Winamp Strobe light, need help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Region, 9 Sep 2008.

1. Region

Region Obsessed with sound.

Hey everyone,
    I have been reading these forums for quite a while now and i am currently working on my design for my case mod.
    I am having a bit of trouble with a strobe light idea i have.I was wondering if it is posible to connect a strobe light to my computer using a standard USB port. I wold like it to be a sound/beat activated strobe light and if posible controll it using a winamp plugin.I am planing on lighting up a fairly big area so im thinking over 200 Leds will be used.
    I would realy apreciate it if anyone could shoot me in the right direction, cheers.

2. bullseye969

bullseye969 What's a Dremel?

I believe you power it using a normal 4 pin molex connector and then connect to the sound reactive cold cathode directly into the sound card on the mobo, correct me if i'm wrong? Believe thats the only way for it to be reactive to sounds from the PC.

3. Pal_Mal

Pal_Mal What's a Dremel?

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

As Pal_Mal examples, there's stuff out there on using parallel & serial ports (see also Girder), but USB interfacing is a bit harder. Futurlec do some modules that might get you started in the right direction.

OK, you're wrong. :read: :p