1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 360 mouse and keyboard adapter idea

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bHawk, 25 Sep 2007.

1. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Im a pc gamer at heart but I do like my xbox 360 very much, and now that my computer is a bit outdated i spend most of my time playing games on the 360. It's too bad microsoft won't add mouse and keyboard support. Here's my idea of adding it on the cheap:

How about making a software 360 controller translator(?).

Now, Im no programmer or hacker but making a program to capture mouse movement and keyboard activity seems like it should be pretty easy. If the program could somehow translate to the output of a 360 controller and then send it out through a usb cable to the 360, it would mean instant mouse and keyboard support.

I have no idea if it would even be possible to do any of that, and sadly I lack the technical knowledge to test out my theory, but I would be interested to hear what people think about it.

2. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

3. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I shouldve pointed out that the idea behind making a software adapter was to make it a cheap and more customizable alternative to the xfps adapter.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

360 won't allow unsigned code unfortunately, so a software adapter isn't possible.

The XFPS also sucks, I use my mouse with a high sensitivity, and the deadzone of the analogue sticks means most of my movement isn't picked up by the 360. Unfortunately you'd have to change the input coding for every game I imagine. Mine went straight back into it's box.

5. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Excuse my ignorance, but do you mean the 360 wont accept any programs other than what MS allows? because what I'm thinking of would run on a separate computer (most likely a laptop).

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah, as far as I know you can't use anything on the 360 that MS hasn't allowed. Although your idea might work if you did it your way maybe. Kind of like the laptop is acting as the XFPS unit, so you provide the hardware which you already have, and then you just buy the software to make it work like the XFPS? There might be a little delay, but the advantage of doing it that way is you can then cut out the deadzone of the analogue stick in the program, and provide different settings for different games if they have a different deadzone.

7. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

exactly! the only thing you would need to buy is a male to male usb cable so it can be plugged in to the computer and 360. I hadn't thought about delay but im still hopeful it could work.

Tags: