1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC 7-inch LCD - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bournecycle, 29 Jan 2008.

1. bournecycle

bournecycle What's a Dremel?

Hey all.

I'm trying to choose a case for an HTPC that i'm building and I am having a bit of trouble making a decision.
    I have narrowed it down to two likely candidates.
    This one:
    http://www.directron.com/moneual902.html

or this one:
    http://www.directron.com/sstcw02smxr.html

The difficulty that I'm having is in deciding whether the LCD panel on the Moneual is worth the US$200 that it adds to the cost of the case.
    What I need to know is: how useful is it? Does anyone who has one of these actually USE it, or does it just sit there and look pretty?

Thanks in advance!

2. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

It all depends on whether you will use it or not.

I could be pretty useful if you wrote a little script for it just to tell you track details, playing time, time(clock), etc.

Seeing as it's touch screen you could write a program for it with personalised menus:

Mainmenu -Music
    -Artist
    -Album

-Video
    -Movies
    -Comedy
    -Horror
    -etc.

-Pictures

-etc.

Hey it's just a suggestion. I think its pretty cool idea anyway and the Moneual look way nicer IMO.

Keep us posted.

Edit: sorry my menus didn't come out as expected but I think you'll understand

3. bournecycle

Thanks for the response

The question of whether I will use it or not is at the center of my problem. I will probably not ever get around to learning how to write scripts for it, as I expect to be far too distracted by playing with the shiny new toy.:cooldude:

I know I could use it to navigate the menus in Media Center (which I plan to use), but as I can do that via remote or just through the main monitor I'm thinking that there isn't a whole lot of reason to have it outside of pure aesthetics.

4. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

I personally dont like them. They add brightness to my room and Ill never use it. I bought a 10" awhile back that I used for a mp3car project. It's so much easier doing everything from the couch with the remote. IMO the HTPC looks better in my rack and blends with the other stereo equipment better with out the screen. TO each his own though.

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yer I wouldn't bother TBH, unless you sit right infront of the case then why would you bother getting up to use a touchscreen and is there really any information you need to put on there that you can't just view on your main screen?. Get a decent wireless keyboard with inbuilt mouse and a remote :)

I've found the stealthier the better with my HTPC as I prefer not to notice it, also both cases seem a bit OTT and in your face (and rather large) in my opinion.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The only situation in which I'd get a HTPC with a touch screen would be if the only screen connected to it was a projector. You don't want to turn those things on right after shutting it down etc. A small screen would be enough for some minor adjustments w/o using the projector.

7. bournecycle

Thanks for the input everyone.
    I think I'm going to go with the Silverstone. I'd rather put the money inside the case than on the front of it.
    Especially if it's for something that isn't much use to begin with.

Now if only I can decide on a soundcard...:duh:

8. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I have a zalman xt160 and enjoy using the lcd on the front. It's a standalone htpc so I don't have to turn on the tv to play CDs over the stereosystem. Plus having the alum covers scroll when the song is playing is pretty nifty.

Tags: