1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice and comments on this Sandy Bridge rig!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ratdog, 26 Mar 2011.

1. ratdog

ratdog What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone. I'm a relative technology novice, and have never build my own pc, but I've been doing a little research and have come up with the following potential set-up. I hope to use it for good quality gaming (but certainly nothing extremely high-power), and to be an otherwise very capable and fairly powerful desktop. So I'm potentialy looking at:

Processor: i5 2500k
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO B3
    Graphics: GTX 560
    PSU: Antec TP-650
    Cooling: Arctic Freezer 13
    A 64GB SSD at around £80
    A 500GB HDD at around £30
    A BluRay/DVD drive at £50 (or less!)
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 (3x2GB)

And now for questions/things you can really help with!

-Two important components I've missed out: the case, and a monitor. Any recommendations for a decent case? I'm really not fussed about looks, just want something that does the job for (IMPORTANTLY!) as little money as possible. Certainly under £30 please. As for the screen, I'm looking for something larger than 20", and importantly with a resolution of 1920x1200. I know it's ambitious, but to find that for under £200 would be ideal (ex-demo models etc welcome). Can you guys give me any pointers?

-Are all those parts compatible? I'm almost 100% sure they are, but just want to run it by the forum

-Are any components overkill? Anywhere I could cut back and go cheaper for comparable quality? Looking especially at the PSU, and the SSD suppose, though it would be a shame to lose it.

-On a similar note, any good BluRay and DVD drives to report for less than £50?

- Any other comments, advice, and constructive criticism would be sincerely appreciated.

-To get this under £1000 is very acheivable, but under £900 would be super! Cost-cutting tips?

Thanks very much in advance for your feedback!

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Sandybridge is not triple channel memory so you will fit 2 or 4 dimms (preferably 2).

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

4. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Welcome to BT.

Not sure now is the right time to buy an SSD... lots of new product arriving, so prices are going to be fluctuating.

So I'd save that cash for now and put it towards this... awesome monitor that you'll not regret buying. Shop around you can get it for around £225 GBP.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wow. IPS panel for that money. It's ot 16:10 though... but bargain.

7. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

+1 for the screen I got one recently and I'm really happy with it, colours are great and image quality is very high.

Need to change the RAM as jimmyjj said 1155 is dual channel not Tri.

Also for an extra 8 quid you can get a 1TB spinpoint F3 as the HDD.

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London