1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AGP is back from the dead. Again.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 4 Sep 2007.

1. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

HD2400Pro and HD2600Pro AGP have been in stock at Ebuyer for some time now, GeCube flavour.

I've actually just returned my HD2400Pro today as it didn't get along with my SN95G5 at all! Great when it worked, but frequent blue screens the like of which I haven't seen since the 9700Pro days. Decided to dump the shuttle, not worth the hassle :rolleyes: (I was intending to use it as an HTPC).

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

And to think that I thought that my old Gainward 7800GS+ which I gave to a mate was about as good as AGP was going to get, surely a Geforce 8 series or similar and above will just be a waste, as there just not the bandwidth on AGP to feed the cards unlike PCI-E :rolleyes:
    So seeing as the cards are not going to perform greatly compared to PCI-E interface, what do we get from this? Direct X 10, which on a system thats 4 years old, is it really going to even handle Vista so it can use the new technology?
    Sso the only advantage really that I see is that the new cards would have support for HDCP with a HDMI port.

Does XP even support HDCP :confused:

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im still using AGP on my Main gaming PC. Its a DFI NF3 with a ATI X1600 PRo. Still be along time before I get PCI-E as this machine was put together when I got BF2 and needed a new VGA card.

Long Live the AGP!!!!!!!

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Did you miss my post? :)

Most AGP 8x systems can support 2GB of RAM, so I'm failing to see why Vista would run THAT slowly on them. DX10 also offloads a lot of things onto the graphics card, but it doesn't require that much super bandwidth to do it.

To top it off, let's clear the air of a huge misconception. PCIe was not introduced because AGP was bottlenecked. The AGP 8x bus is STILL not overloaded with today's games, it wasn't even half-loaded when PCIe 1.0 came out. Bandwidth is not your limiting factor. It's like the move to SATA - it really hasn't done anything yet except minimise cable clutter.

The only weakness will be the bridge chip, which could lag things behind PCIe a *little*. That being said, the way DX10 API works could extend the life of older chipsets on Vista, providing reason to actually use it as an OS for games when on an older system.

And XP does not have native support for HDCP, no.

5. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Why is my avatar an excited guy laughing? Why are these forums like this? I want to see hobbs and bindibadgi's avatar.

pentium lll with with radeon 9550 for almost 10 years now... new power supply and 8600gts with a pentium lll :D

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Respect to you.

7. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I stand corrected with regards to the AGP bandwidth. :thumb:

oops, maybe :duh:

Will certainly be interesting to see how they compare to PCI-E versions, if the 4 year old systems are able to run vista, then can only hope that DX10 pulls it off.

8. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

The more option we have the better it is for everyone - this is good news for a lot of people.

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

still running a radeon 9600xt ...sadly i made the mistake of buying an AOpen KT600 board that only runs stable at 4x AGP :-/ so i guess even if I were to buy another AGP card, it probably wouldnt be worht it.. might as well upgrade to PCIe

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I've got a dual Opteron K8T Master2Far with AGP slot. :D

AGP is Cheesecake! :rock:

11. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The 925X is a nice board; and a good OCer to boot (had the 3.2 clocked at 3.92; I could probably take it higher if I wanted to).

My new rig I'm building will be getting the Lanparty UT 680i board

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

**stares down at the XP 1800, FX 5200 machine below**

Its still by far the most stable PC I've ever used.

13. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Thats the exact set up I have!!!
    It is by far the most stable computer ive ever built. I recently upgraded to an x1650 pro from a 9800 pro. I thought it was going to be the last AGP card id buy before having to go all out on a new pci-e system and all that, looks like I was wrong. Quite frankly I have neither the need nor the money for a multi gpu system.

14. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

Wow i actual waited long enough. Ive got to upgrade and now i can get PCI-Express 2.0 :D win win.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is spooky... :worried: I recently upgraded from a 9800 Pro to an X1650 Pro as well...

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

oh, for the love of all that is holy, the LAST thing we need is another Nexxo ;)

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

lol I Wonder what Degree hes got and if he can put a post together like Nexxo :)

18. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I bought a PCI Geforce4 MX 4000 (an overclocked GeForce2) for my girlfriend's (very old) 766MHz celeron PC not too long ago.

It's good to be able to get old standards but you've got to question if it's really worth sticking a huge GPU powerhouse into something where everything else in the PC will hold it back wasting an investment. Also you can't upgrade the motherboard and keep your nice graphics card. So nVidia keep making those AGPs (and PCIs) but no more than GeForce7 it's a waste of time and money IMO.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i was running a agp based system up intil a month ago, be turing that into a file server soon dont think it will need a 8xxx card thou

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

HMM how about ati fix the 7.8 driver that breaks support for there bridge chip first?!?!?
    still running agp but I don't think it's a very good interface and have had nothing but trouble from it through the years with fast writes/dma and other ascosiated nasties. Saying that I think it will be a good 5 or 6 YEARS till I can afford a new computer with starting uni in a years time and money been very tight from that point on. The gradual upgrade path got broken after soccet A unfortuntaly.

*with a x1950pro my pc is mostly held back by cpu speed and memory bandwidth so I wouldn't see any point in getting anything faster. (only some benchmarks are held back by gpu - actual games no).

Tags: Add Tags