1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus announces Haswell-based Chromeboxes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Feb 2014.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well if Asus cannot get around this then it would be off the table :)

Nah if I had to do something that wasn't meant to be done to enable me to do it then I would but still it certaintly adds a potential issue to it for those who won't risk it, and want to change from the Google OS to something allot better.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

ChrUbuntu for example. Or developer mode as others said.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Local storage is overrated until you find yourself somewhere where there's no internet connectivity... or your mobile data allowance is used up. Then it becomes really rather useful :D

4. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

It depends on what you're doing. Nowadays I find that so much of my work depends on an internet connection that if I know I won't have one I have to set things up especially for that scenario.

I've come to depend so much on online documentation that I rarely have offline copies anymore so to me at least local storage really isn't that big a factor. Where it is is in gaming but outside of that the local disk drive size I need has shrunk markedly over recent years.

5. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

Sounds good and would be nice to replace my ageing WDTV Live but does this have spdif? Kinda pointless if it doesn't.

6. faugusztin

Pointless ? You got HDMI, what more do you need ? In case you would really need SPDIF for some strange reason, there are boxes which can extract it for you from HDMI.

7. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

HDMI to telly and spdif to BD allinone for surround, not my choice I argued for amp and speakers but to no avail.

8. faugusztin

HDMI ARC ? HDMI to SPDIF spliiter boxes ? You got choices, no need to limit yourself to "spdif only" boxes.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I will ask about dev mode when I get back to work :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd be interested to hear the result; if the Asus Chromebox *doesn't* have access to developer mode, it would make it unique in the Chrome OS world - and I don't mean that in a good way.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

- MPC-HC
    - MadVR
    - ReClock
    The triumvirate of video playback quality. You won't match it, let alone bet it, without investing quite a bit in dedicated video filtering and scaling hardware. Certainly not on an embedded ARM platform that relies on integrated hardware decoding and scaling to handle video.

12. koola

koola Minimodder

So this is just a Chromebox NUC right?, albeit heavily discounted.