1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer slows for a few seconds

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by spacemunkee, 17 Feb 2007.

1. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

Spec:

e6300
    ga 965p s3
    2gb ocz platinum ram
    520w corsair
    7950gt 512mb

Right the problem im having is every one to two minutes whilst im on my pc it suddenly slow down for a few seconds. For instance my music will slow and then speed back up again or my mouse will become juddery.

I have ran multiple scans of everything i can lay my hands on even in safe mode but it cant find any virus/spyware. All i can see if that when i open task manager and order the processes by cpu usage. When the system slows down a task called "system" which is around 250kb mem footprint jumps to the top of the list and is only using 3 to 5% cpu usage.

This occurs so fast i have to screen shot it to make sure it is indeed this process. It then disappears back to the bottom of the usage list and the system resumes to run fine.

Any ideas?

2. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

system is an ok process. but the fact that its bouncing up and down seems wierd.

try googleing everything in your running processes

run msconfig and go to the last tab "startup" and see what all is in there.. that tends to get bloated with stupid junk like adobe, quicktime, etc... most of that stuff you can remove

other than that, you could try reinstalling windows over top of your existing install, or doing a windows repair, but they tend to fix nothing.

if you have the ability, format, reinstall

you have a pretty smoking setup, so there is no reason you should be getting hiccups to the effect of your mp3s studdering/slowing..

3. spacemunkee

I think im going to just to just reinstall .. pain in the arse but this is annoying me so much now. Ive resorted to uninstalling all of my programs in turn to try and find out what it is. But still nope.. it keeps slowing. Im currently deep inside the event log to see if i can figure it out but its getting tedious, like you said my setup is far from **** hence why i know there is definitely something weird going on to cause the problem. Ill give window repair a go and if no success then reinstall time.

4. spacemunkee

Well i have formatted both my hard drives, fresh windows install and it is still doing it :( all i can think is maybe something to do with my wireless? otherwise im stumped.

5. spacemunkee