1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Crikey, ETH has jumped this morning.... $85 for 20 days of mining isn't bad going, just need to scale things up now!

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Ah, that makes much more sense. Thanks. I'd looked at SEPA and it was similarly priced for me as well.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Is a Ledger Nano S the only wallet not on an exchange for XRP?

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Aren’t there other forms of wallets?? I wouldn’t know as I just use my Nano S, but still.

6. Zoon

I assumed there'd be a software wallet a la BTC et al. But the only google searches are for the Ledger Nano S or any number of exchanges who will gladly hold it for you. Hohum.

I was going to go in on XRP around the time BTC hit $4000 but at the time it didn't seem easy at all.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was using the Minimalist Ripple Client with effectively a paper wallet (actually the secret stored in an encrypted text file) before I got my Nano S. Worked a charm, but is butt-ugly.

Be wary about playing around with multiple wallets, though: each address has to be 'activated' with 20 XRP before it can be used, and that has to stay in the wallet forever. In other words, if you play with five wallets using actual XRP, you're going to have tied up 100 XRP - which is a fair chunk of change now.

There's likely to be a reduction in the minimum wallet balance in the near future to reflect the new valuation of the coin, but as to when that'll happen your guess is as good as anyone else's.

9. Zoon

I’m planning to use Gatehub to purchase so I’ll have to leave 20 XRP in that wallet but I was planning to store the remainder myself securely.

10. Mongwopman

Mongwopman King Ding-a-ling!

Ripple has been climbing again today, almost at $3

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

XRP has broken $3...

12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

And ETH blasts past $900...

13. TheMadDutchDude

So glad I hold XRP. In massive profit. XD

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If anyone's playing with Stellar Lumens (XLM), which is set to launch a shiny new exchange called FairX in the next couple of months and thus will hopefully go skywards, use these instructions with XLMPool to gain a small amount of interest on your Lumens each Monday.

15. Zoon

Dammit I hope I get my identity verification completed on gatehub before it goes too much higher. Looks like it's peaked at €1.78 today and currently at €1.75 on gatehub. I'm going to have to think in € due to where I'm buying it. I'm hopefully going to get a little lump of XRP, keep it until selling 1.0 XRP pays back my stake, then keep the rest for a rainy day. I can't be bothered with day trading on it, it just doesn't hold my interest like it does for many of you here!

Last edited: 3 Jan 2018
  16. TheMadDutchDude

I'm not day trading any XRP either. I am in it for the long haul. I am continuing to day trade my BTC, though.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I bought in at .199 and have done zero day, and im doing just fine.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Sites appear to be really struggling to track the price of XRP: it's £2.30 on Binance (an actual value I can trust, 'cos I can literally sell or buy at that price) but £2.77 on CoinGecko and Currencio, while Coinmill stopped updating its prices on the 28th of December and is now just showing a Secure Connection Failed error.

Hell, if someone can find me an exchange buying at £2.77 let me know 'cos I'll put everything I've got into Binance and pull it out the other end for an instant 20% return!

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

What do we think about IOTA chaps? I would like to put a bit in Ripple, but I really don't like the idea of the creators owning such a large stake, seems like they could pull the rug out from under everyone else in a heartbeat...

IOTA has connections with Microsoft, Fujitsu and Bosch already, and the team has no financial interest (if my research is to be believed). Good bet??

20. Gareth Halfacree

Potentially, but long-term. (Disclaimer: I put £200 in when it hit its all-time high through full-on fear of missing out, and then it plunged. I'm currently sitting on a £50-ish loss.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention: the Microsoft connections have been massively over-egged (which was the cause of the plunge). Turns out that "we've partnered with Microsoft" actually means "we demoed our platform to a couple of people at an Azure event." Microsoft was quick to distance itself when that release went out, but not quick enough to save me from investing!

Personally, if you're looking for something that's going to kick off sooner, I'd be (and I have been) looking at the following:

VeChain, which uses its blockchain for RFID-based tracking and has signed some major deals with big companies of late.
    FunFair, whose fair gambling platform launches in public test later this month or early next (fingers crossed.)
    Stellar Lumens, which is going to be the currency used on a new cross-crypto exchange called FairX which, again, should launch this month or the next.
    Monero, which is likely to be boosted by the failure of rival anonymous crypto Verge to launch its promised Wraith protocol.
    RaiBlocks, which has been on a massive bull run of late and offers free instantaneous transfers. Might be at its peak now, though, so one to watch for a dip.

Of those, I hold a fair chunk of FunFair, a couple of Moneros, and a handful of Stellar Lumens. I wanted to get into RaiBlocks when it was £4, did nothing, thought when it was £12 "I'll buy the dip," thought when it was £17 "soon, I'm sure," and now it's £20. Whoops.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018