1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Does this sound like the SB chipset issue? Anyone else experiencing the same?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitesky, 13 Feb 2011.

1. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

So I sold off my X58 for an upgraded SB rig.. quiet, power efficient, Mmmm.

Running Win7 64b, everything is really snappy, except sometimes my PC hangs for about 30 secs, then 'catches up' suddenly and unlocks again.

SATA6: C300 SSD
    S3(1): 1Tb (documents)
    S3(2): 1Tb (media, various program cache)
    ACHI
    Power Plan: High
    Turn HDDs to Sleep/Off: Never

Now I've paid very close attention to what, how and when, with a focus on if it involves accessing the spinners on SATA3:

• When Win boots up, everything opens correctly, but first access of Firefox causes hang, from there it's fine
    • Waking up after sleep.. again, first access of FF
    • Occassionally when opening My Computer
    • I have my cache folder for FF set on one of my 1Tb's.. occassionally after idling for 20 mins, accessing a tab again (re-opening cache maybe?) causes the hang
    • Not often, but sometimes opening My Computer shows NO drives, not even C on SATA6.. the Explorer bar has tht loader bar (that's Indexing, right?) tht never fills up

Trying to be a careful SSD owner, I dumped as many locations & functions onto the mechanicals. That's what leads me to believe this may be the SATA3 issue cropping up already - despite the 3-year degrade span that's claimed.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Your hard drives switch off, so when the PC decides it needs to read them again it has to wait until they fire up. Go into your PC power options (start - type in Power and click the Power Options under control panel) and click "change power plan" then "change advanced power settings", then select Hard Disk and disable the time. That should work.

I have the same issue although not as bad as yours, but with my RAID 1 drives I have to wait until each starts up separately. Takes bloody AGES.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Whitesky - the issue you describe is exactly what happens with mechanical drives. I have a gaming machine with only SSDs in and my media PC with all my normal hard drives. That way the machine that needs to be fast and responsive always is and isn't waiting for slow-poke drives.

4. kadombing

kadombing What's a Dremel?

Is there any way to solve this other than what Bindibadgi suggested? I have WD Caviar Green 1Tb (not primary) for around four years now(have been moving it to different PCs), and it still sleeps every time and takes 30 seconds to wake up. I want him to have insomnia. :worried:

Last edited: 13 Feb 2011
  5. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

Well interestingly, I double checked and in my Power plan everything's already set correctly. HDD's never turn off nor are on a timer.

Here's the thing though.. I ran this exact same setup on my recent system, which ran flawlessly for over a year. Infact other than the new drive labels (E/F etc) changing a bit, I hooked up everything the same as it's always been.

You know how drives "whirrrrr" up, often ending in a lil' click' on first boot or resuming from Sleep? I listen and they never make that sound during this hang, so I'm assuming they're already running.. or am I wrong?

6. kadombing

kadombing What's a Dremel?

I suggest you backup the data before something really bad happens :D