1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Draytek Router Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 24 Nov 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have a client who currently use a Draytek 2820n router.

They use two types of broadband connection, one is normal ADSL using the built in modem, the second is line-of-site broadband which uses a Draytek modem.

The router doesn't really use any of the advanced features that the Draytek offers, other than the ability to run two braodband connections on a fail-over basis.

They have standard port forwarding rules - but nothing that couldn't be used on most other routers.

The Draytek has recently started to slow up, and has required reboots to get things running again.

I have used diagnostics to see if any of the workstations or servers are slowing the connection - but it definitely seems to be the router - so we are looking for a replacement.

Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Draytek offer a good price point for SMB. I have had a couple of 2820's fail recently - some have been fixed by putting on the new firmware.

The ones that haven't I have just swapped out for 2830's.

I am pretty sure you should be able to set the draytek up to load balance accross the two lines should you want to.

3. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

i used to supply those routers to all my clients, but stopped a while back as they proved quite unreliable in the long run.

i would suggest using two routers in bridge mode on both the connections, then using a pfsense box. while it may be more complicated to setup, it is amazingly flexible.

we use these a lot now http://linitx.com/product/linitx-alix-2d3-lx800-3nicusb-pfsense-firewall-kit/12647

good luck!

EDIT: you can certainly set the pfsense to load balance. the simplest way it does this is by putting the connections into a pool. and alternating connections between them. this means that web browsing (which normally only uses one session) isnt normally much faster, but streaming and downloading P2P gets the benefit of two connections.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2013
  4. Margo Baggins

While I agree with this in principal - start saying things like pfsense, GPL, freeware, opensource etc. then the liability goes from the manufacturer and onto me - managing lots of sites and lots of equipment means that that is not a very good solution (speaking about in my instance) - plus, it's hard to convince clients that it is better for them to use an opensource solution for their needs as they tend to feel alot more security in brands.

I don't know so much about reliability. Some seem to be a bit hit or miss and some seem to just last for ages. I have absolutely tonnes of draytek stuff out there, I honestly don't think there is much around that price point that is any better for SMB - sure once any of my clients gets to a certain size, we start considering other options and moving them to a better solution, like a fortinet or juniper (for example) but for a couple of hundred quid, draytek I think nail their products.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

DrayTek are pretty awesome but I had a nightmare installing a new 2860 last week. It was on an Annex M line and no matter what profile the ISP used it just wouldnt sync. DrayTek addmitted that there was a problem with the firmware after I ended up calling them. They supplied a beta firmware just as I was about to RMA it!

6. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

point taken about shifting the responsibility.

i guess it depends on what kind of backup you have from where you work. one of the reasons we actually like the pfsense option is that we dont have to deal with RMA etc when something goes wrong. we can send a replacement out and nearly always fix the dud one. and it's so rare they go wrong - but point taken.

some people do like green cisco boxes :rolleyes:

7. Margo Baggins

What I run in my office and what I sell to clients differs considerably :D I have much opensource stuff running off a fleet of cubie boards, router boards etc.

Sorry it wasn't a dig, like I said I agree, it just isn't always practical for me to deploy things like that.

I like green cisco boxes :) I like them alot, just they don't always fit inline with my customers budgets, especially when they have to consider configuration etc. on top of the unit price.

8. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Hmm, it might be worth sticking with Draytek then.

I have used them at other clients and had no problems, although they may not be as old as this one (5+ years probably).

So is the 2830 the replacement for the 2820n?