1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAME OVER!!!!-MAME machine <update 11-10-04> ALMOST DONE!!!! Side Art ideas?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bust_A_Cap, 8 Oct 2004.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Might be able to score a free one from your school or go dumpster diving. At my high school, there are always parts stacked up in the halls that you're allowed to take stuff from. Although most of the stuff is terribly, terribly old. If you know someone getting a new computer, ask if you can have their old one. Or do the same to any stores if you see that they're getting new equiptment. A lot of companies just throw them out or get them hauled away, just grab some of that. :D

2. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

well i purchased that motherboard and processor set <the VIA one> from tiger direct today. So i should be getting that sometime this week, or next. For the time being I will be testing out some various versions of MAME and MAME frontends to see which ones work the best and which will support the most roms i want to use.

If anyone has any ideas, comments, or suggestions feel free to post them!!!

3. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

If only any of that was true here. :waah:

Awesome mod. Queer Eye made one of those for my brother's house.

4. TekMonkey

:eyebrow:

5. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

His Sigma Chi fraternity house. Should air in January.

I like the ones I see on this website a lot more though to be honest.

6. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

google for mame32, that should do what you're looking for ;)

sucks about the hardware problems bust-a-cap, you don't seem to have the best of luck with computers do you! :blah:

7. Bust_A_Cap

aight the new motherboard should be here this week somtime!!!!! I am debating whether i should get some more ram or not....i don't really have the money right now.....but i think it would do the computer some good

8. Bust_A_Cap

Need Help!?!?!?!?!

aight well i got the motherboard and processor and it is all installed. I couldn't use the old arcade machine computer case because the motherboard didn't fit, so i had to use an old Gateway case that i had lying around. I have added a DVD drive to this computer as well as a network card, so hopefully this beast will be able to watch some movies and surf teh web.

Onto my problems. Well everything is hooked up and ready to go......i attempt to turn in on.....but when it comes on nothing pops on the screen. And it doesn't make any beeps or anything. the computer acts like it is booting up regularly and everything, except that it doensn't show anything on the screen.

Any body have any ideas?????

9. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Turn the monitor on.

10. SirShaw

SirShaw What's a Dremel?

no beeps + all fans turn on = either improper seat on the processor or bad psu.

Just my two cents from experience and reading

11. Bust_A_Cap

aight. i have checked everything like 8 times now....all the jumpers on the motherboard are set to their correct settings, the front plug ins are all plugged in correctly and everything is right.

When i turn the computer on it soudns like it is booting up, like the hard drive is spinning and it is doing whatever the hard drive is supposed to do in the begining. No beeps go off though....and nothing comes up on the screen. I am going to try and put a PCI video card in to see what happens,

PLEASE HELP ME!!

<and yes the monitor is plugged in and on>

12. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Couple things for you to try, you have probably tried a few anyway:
    Disconnect the power cord and power the system. This will discharge anyting left in the PS and board.
    Try reseating the RAM.
    Hell try clearing cmos.
    Check voltages.
    Check Processor.
    If you have a floppy, you could try booting dos blindly. then do a dir command and see if the floppy gets accessed. This will tell you if it is simply a video issue or if it is a system issue.

Good luck!

13. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

I second reseating the RAM.......

14. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

try a different video card is all i can say and possiably different ram. :duh:

15. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

try this.

1. CPU and motherboard only. Beaps continue

2. Add ram. Beaps continue

3. Add Vid card. Beaps continue

4. Hard drive. Beaps continue

5. Add the oter parts to find out whats wrong

If any of step doesnt beap you found you problem.

16. Bust_A_Cap

aight...well i unplugged everything and then turned it on......it powers up but it no beeps what so ever.....i have the speaker plugged in if this makes any difference at all...does this make a difference?

This is really frustrating because i just got this motherboard and processor brand new from tiger direct and it's not working.

uhhh yeah....i am going to try a different proce3ssor and see if this changes things.

When then computer beeps should that be coming from the speaker that you plug into your motherboard? or from the motherboard it self?
    <may seem like a dumb question but i am looking as basic as i can at this thing>

17. TekMonkey

Did you try a different AGP video card?

18. Bust_A_Cap

yeah.....and i tried a PCI card.....neither of them worked......both them worked on other computer though

19. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

sounds like a bad mobo :sigh:

20. SirShaw

SirShaw What's a Dremel?

yah sounds like a bad mobo or processor, id try the processor in a different machine or try the mobo with a diff processor. This also may sound strange but i had an old gateway case and i put a new mobo and processor in it, both the led's (power and harddisk) on the front came on and stayed on as soon as i gave the power supply power from the outlet. I heard no beeps, had no display (much like your situtation which is why im typing all this ;) ) I ended up being really frustrated. after tinkering with the motherboard and processor I tried a different power supply and BAM everything started workin right. SO MAYBE you might have a bad psu, I would try a different one next if all else fails.