1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other [Halp] Can you fix my satellite?

Discussion in 'General' started by omicron, 5 Sep 2010.

1. omicron

omicron Baud.

Hiya guys.

So, here's the story. We have Sky+HD; bout a year ago, we got a dual feed put in so that I could have a sky box upstairs independent of the one downstairs. When I went to uni, my parents stopped paying sky the fee for obvious reasons.

Thing is, I don't have a telly any more or an aerial plug in here, so can't even get analog signals. I would quite like to be able to get the FTA channels.

I have a CT100 cable with an F Plug (looks like this):

[​IMG]

hanging from my wall. My question is, will it work if I buy a freesat box? I mean, in theory it should, but due to the whole second-line thing I'm not sure.
    I have an F-plug-to-coax converter and have tried plugging it into a normal telly, but all I get's crap signal and fuzzies.

Cheers for reading.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2010
  2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I used to have multiple boxes (multiroom) in my last house and ran freesat through a PC TV card without any problems.

If you havent got a TV are you using a computer? if so it might be worth looking a suitable tv card for your comp instead of a standalone box?

3. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

In theory yes, the dual line thing is basically 2 LNBs stuck on the dish at the same location, one feeding each cable. The sky bit is the box the cable plugs into, not the cable. The FTA channels are carried on the same sat as the sky channels. If you put an old digibox onto that cable, you'll simply receive the FTA channels (possibly some are missed out).

to sum up: yes, any sat receiver should in theory pick up the FTA channels if plugged into that cable. There will be no UHF channels on it.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I wont say 100% yes since there is always that chance of it not working but my stepdad recently did exactly this and it worked a treat. He got all freeview channels plus all of the channels you get free if its running through a non-subscription sky box(like scuzz for example).

P.S. If you still have the sky box itself try that, you never know. Although if it does work you will have the annoyance of going through hundreds of unusable channels to get to the ones that do work.

5. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

You'll find though, that FTV (ie, "freeview") has more + better channels than FTA satellite :)
    eg channel 5 /etc aren't on FTA

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Yes it will work exactly like that, I used to live with my parents and had Sky+ for myself, and put my old Sky standard box in the lounge with the FTA channels for them.

When I moved out I just cancelled my sub and left the digibox there til they decided they wanted Freeview with a recorder.