1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs How old is your hardware?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 May 2012.

1. Tibsie

Tibsie What's a Dremel?

I built my own pc in February 2008 (following the bit-tech hardware guide) for £800 and it still runs the latest games (e.g. Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Call of Duty) perfectly well.
    The graphics card (8800 GT) stopped working a couple of days ago so I had to replace it.

The lesson? Invest in decent gear and it will last you for years, buy cheap rubbish and you'll spend more money in the long run keeping it running.

2. matt...

matt... Slacker

Great question Ant,

My watercooled rig was built early 2008 with a Q6600 which has been running a VCore of 1.9volts ever since! It's had 3 graphics cards due to 1 old age, 1 dying prematurely just out of warranty (shame on you ATI) and the present one that is still alive..

However, the time has come to upgrade from XP and build a new rig! Components are starting to appear - new mobo and i3570K have arrived and I'm just waiting on w/c blocks and a few modding bits before I start a project log :)

3. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

She's currently 32..... Wait what? ;)

Current hardware is all sb-e stuff, I've got some athlons around and some x58.

An Atari somewhere and a voodoo 2 or 3, an ISA modem as well, thing is longer than a 6990 how it ever fit in my old Amstrad I do not know

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

4. zeraphine

zeraphine What's a Dremel?

I upgrade my system incrementally, so some parts can be quite old, oldest part I have is a Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music, which I think doesn't need upgrading, there's only so much quality sound can get, I even modded it with National Semiconductor Op Amps, apart from that
    I have a i7 920 running @ 4.2 Ghz cooled with a Corsair H80, at that clock its pretty damn fast, scores over 7.1 on cenebench (that's only a fraction slower than a 12 core Opteron), I see no reason to upgrade this processor any time soon.
    EVGA X58 SLI3 brilliant board
    GTX460 1GB @ 850Mhz can run almost any game on highest settings 1080p, I mostly play RTS games like Starcraft II and occasional FPS, BF3 Runs on all high without any problems, maybe if there's game I like that demands more than this card I will upgrade it

12GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, I do a lot of graphics work, so maybe Ill go up to 24GB
    2 x 120GB OCZ Agility III SSD's
    My keyboard and mice are really new, a Razer Lycosa and a Razer Abyssus.

Tags: Add Tags