1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id Software loves Games For Windows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Yeah right.
    Wonder how much MS paid them.

H.B.

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Microsoft live sounds all like steam to me...

But they are right about the piracy. There must be something done, or all will flea to "saver" consoles. leaving us and our elite gaming machines nothing else to do then some very quick notepad typing on a quadcore sli 8800GTX.

Well.. that would be a big downer. I can allready see the new bit-tech benchmarks nightmare:

word 2008 Word processing: (2400x1200 res, 16x, 16x, sli)
    gts8800: ================ 500fps
    gtx8800: ================ 500fps
    Ati2900: ================ 500fps

Access 2008 (1.000.000 record fetching):
    X2 6000+ : ============ 2,3 seconds
    Q66600: ====== 0,4 seconds
    E6850: ======= 0,6 seconds
    (lower is better)

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

they need to start making games for linux damnit!

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Maybe they would if there was a unified programming API like DirectX

Kimbie

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Don't they have OpenGL? Unless I'm mistaken, which is quite possible.

-monkey

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

OpenGL is harder to program for....or so I've heard....there's less assistance, in terms of troubleshooting.....

Also, Games For Windows, to me atleast, is making PC gaming seem almost less 3rd party and making it almost 360ish in terms of having Windows emblem all over the game.... either way I like knowing that M$ is trying to get decent games to the PC and bringing with them DX10, but tbh the lineup kinda sux especially when they include Ratatouille as one of them....anyways I hope GFW can become more than what it is currently showing...

8. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

If Gears of War becomes a Games for Windows title they might have something going for them then. What they really need to get this type of program jumpstarted is to make a game for it that is not just a console port or has a console equivelant unlike the 2 ones I think of for this program being Shadowrun and Halo 2.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

/\ Crysis maybe?

10. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

The funny thing here is that id has generally made it a point to have all of their games run natively on linux. I guess this Tim Willits guy isn't one of the linux users over at id ;)

11. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I can see why ID would have a bee in their collective bonnet about piracy, I understand that Doom3 had something like a million illegal downloads the day before it hit shelves and was amongst the most pirated games ever, though at the same time I can't shake the feeling that the game was extremely attractive to that, not because it was the best thing ever, but mostly because a ludicrous number of people wanted to see what the fuss was about but weren't nearly bothered enough to have gone out and actually bought it had no piracy options been available.

Games for windows sounds good in theory - setting a benchmark for quality and enforcing adherence to it, but it has yet to excite me in practise and I'm not the least bit bothered about live right now, especially with subscription fees.

Tags: Add Tags