1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel unveils Sandy Bridge at IDF

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 14 Sep 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I swear if I hear the word "Revolutionary" one more time I'm going to blow a gasket!
    Woohoo! New technology is an improvement on the old! Stop the presses and hand your paychecks over to intel! Oh, and bow - for pity's sake - bow and worship intel!

Sorry for the rant. I'm not trying to belittle Intel's efforts but they really ought to have a look at the definition of revolutionary. This is a textbook example of evolutionary improvement.

3. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

I wish they would come up with some different core names for the new family. It's just confusing using i3, i5 and i7 again

4. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

is this the third or 4th new process for the same family of proccesors?

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

i3 i5 and i7? Really?
    I just want to slap them sometimes...

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Nope, only the second. Nehalem started off with 45nm, the same process as Penryn, and was then shrunk to 32nm in the form of Westmere. Sandy Bridge is also 32nm, and will be shrunk in 2012 to produce the 22nm Ivy Bridge.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm so with you on all of that! "Revolutionary" is so overused that it has become meaningless. It's like Apple's iPhone 4 propaganda - "This changes everything. Again." Aside from the unnecessary grammatical clanger, calling the iPhone 4 a game changer devalues the achievement Apple made with the original iPhone which, for all its flaws, I would argue was revolutionary - multi-touch capacitive touchscreen; ability to download directly from iTunes; the App Store (okay that came a little later but still); the interface and even the basic form factor are all things we now take for granted, but which have literally shaped the smartphone market. Every generation after that has done no more than fix the flaws and make iterative improvements.

Very few technologies are actually groundbreaking in the sense of making a real shift in consumer behaviour or experience. A bit quicker doesn't cut it. Here are a few thoughts as to what I think have been the real game changers over recent years - things that have materially changed the way I interact with technology. I'd love to hear what you guys think:

* WiFi
    * iPhone
    * GPS in mobile phones
    * mobile internet
    * Google (search, maps, Gmail, docs)

8. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

The new high end sandy bridge will be i7 930 !?
    Great naming conventions

9. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Aren't they going to be named like i7 2930?

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Okay.. I've been out of the loop for a while..

Is this a whole new architecture, or just a die shrink?

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

It's revolutionary and game changing to the boffins who designed it. Technically it's really pushing the boat out and using design paradigms that stagger the imagination and needed an awful lot of hard work to perfect.

Unfortunately the actual real-world result will be shaving another second or so off spell-checking times, Crysis will get a 1-2fps boost, DVD's will rip in 10 minutes less time, and Bill Hick's ghost will continue to beg people working in marketing and advertising to kill themselves.

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ugh... hate the naming convention.

seriously.

other than that, i'd up for it lol

13. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

it's a new architecture so the tock

i prefer the tick how ever

14. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

So does this mean we have potentially four different sockets all with CPUs sharing the same name.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's my understanding of it. Bit had a news article on it here: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/08/12/intels-sandy-bridge-list-leaked/1.

Of course, even without having ever seen that, this recent article still only says Sandy Bridge will use the i3, i5, i7 name. Never says they'll be the same trailing numbers, so it's a bit hasty to jump to that conclusion!

16. bobsuruncle777

bobsuruncle777 What's a Dremel?

I'm getting a new computer in October. Will they be released by then or will I have to just stick with the i5 760?

17. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Good to know the i7 930 I bought 6 days ago will be (even more) obsolete in a few months :D

Tags: Add Tags