1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Large / Ultra Wide QHD monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 20 Jan 2019.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK, I don't care about 4K - I'd only have to crank up the icon size to see anything on the desktop, but I would like a 32 to 34" 1440p screen - don't really care if it's 3440 or 2560 wide.

I do care about high refresh rate / Freesync/G Sync - but this seems like a bloody minefield. I've seen monitors claiming Freesync in the marketing bumph but the specs say 60hz??
    A good number of ports, 3 minimum - I saw a good condition used Predator X34 but it only has one HDMI and one DP.
    I'm used to IPS so I don't fancy going back to TN
    Curved would be nice.
    Speakers would be a plus, but not strictly necessary.

Oh and I'd like to keep it under £500

Possible?

I've seen a MSI Optix AG32CQ, which i almost there but it's MSI - I can't think of a piece of MSI hardware I've owned that didn't have issues. Mainly motherboards and GPUs, but all have been problematic.

The AOC AG322QCX ticks most of the boxes near the top end of the budget, but that stand is fugly.

There's the BenQ EX3203R - more or less fits the bill, but the only BenQ thing I've owned was a rather nice HD projector - don't know enough about them

Any helpful thoughts or suggestions?

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

It's a wildcard choice as it's a VA but how about the Samsung LC32HG70QQUXEN?

And yes I know it's slightly over budget however they do a 27" flavour to which has been well received from what I've read.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just wait, would be my suggestion, this year monitors will be out adopting the latest 2.1 standards so variable refresh won't be a problem, neither will high refresh 4k monitors or the HDR support, all these things are a bit of a minefield on the older screens.

You don't need curved on something as small as a 30, also you won't need scaling on 4k if you by something that is a reasonable size with useful pixel pitch. My 4k screens are in the 40-43 range and so scaling has never been needed.

I do have some 28" 4k, that is another matter, text too small native IMO.

Your current screen is ~108 ppi, the bigger screens you are looking at are ~90ppi, unless you have bad eyes and have to scale on your current screen these bigger 1440p are going to look awful in comparision with big blocky pixels, I notice the difference between my home and work at ~102 and 110, I wouldn't want to go lower than 100, whilst the 160 of the 28 requires scaling for me, others in the office are fine with it, my sweetspot is probably in the 110-140 ballpark.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
    xxxsonic1971 likes this.
  5. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I just bought one of these https://www.ebuyer.com/861766-samsu...jg6swymzHVwXWHvWSVxC7sv7ssmQ6i0RoCAPgQAvD_BwE

I wouldnt call it an up grade but i side graded from a MG279Q 27" 144 IPS ( currently on the ,marketplace ) ... Do i like it? .. Not 100% sure as the DPI has taken a hit with the size ofc. Going from an IPS to a VA is an obvious downgrade on colours but i kind of expected that as i just wanted the size increase. i DO like the 1800R curve though .. for general website reading such as this is not amazing but where movies / games are concerned yes i get on with it very well.

6. David

I've seen QHD on 32" and the pixel density wasn't an issue, although it was one thing I was initially worried about; having experienced 1080p on a 27" monitor. I've also used a curved 29" monitor and found it perfectly fine, so a curved 32" will be fine with me.

Some interesting suggestions there, guys. Thanks to all of you for taking the time and effort.

7. David

I went with the ASUS XG32VQ.

It ticked all the boxes, was only £4 over budget and was available on Prime, and I could see it in the flesh at a colleague's house yesterday afternoon.

The stand is fugging hideous and takes up far too much desk space, but I swapped it for one I had in the spares cupboard, and I'm happy as a pig in sh!t. :)

Cheers all.