1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Linux Possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coolrunnin, 30 Jun 2002.

1. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Linux people please help...

I'm interested in extracting every last ounce of perfromance out of my new watercoled rig :) and having been reading up as much as I can about linux over the last few weeks I think it will probably help me maintain a stable, powerful platform.

I would be dual booting with XP pro (for games like CS and others, unless there is a good linux way of using them?) but otherwise the PC is mainly used for doing CAD and graphics work, Office stuff and internet malarky (BBand). I was considering SuSe 8.0 as a possible distro as it's meant to be a bit user friendly for noobs to linux :)

Main prob is hardware - I run an Epox 8K3A+ with onboard raid. Neither the Kt333 or the HPT372 RAID controller are listed in the compatibility lists - could I still get this, or another distro to fulfil my objectives? I also have an MO LCD which would also need to be operational.

Am I within the realms of possibility or am I bound to M$?

any help would be much appreciated, Cheers :)

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Here's a link for the linux drivers http://www.highpoint-tech.com/372drivers_down.htm - I know there is plenty of linux software for your LCD too. I also know you can play CS on linux, but I'm not sure how good performance is as I have never tried it myself. Hope that helped.

3. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot Adam - you've confirmed my suspicions - Linux IS the way forward. I'm just fed up with giving my money to a certain Mr. Gates.

4. kong

kong cnc-guy

Of course you can play yer games on Linux!! (well most) check these out:
    wine
    or even better, for direct-x support:
    winex
    I use it for ALL my games, including counterstrike, Mohaa, Max Payne and Soldier of Fortune II. :D

Tags: