1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks My net woes..Chapter 2

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Canon, 8 Sep 2011.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

Ok so after I had some issues regarding Virgin Media, who seemed to refuse to upgrade my net, or believed they had and charged me for it anyway I got pretty pissed off. After several hours worth of phone conversations this was resolved. For around a week and a day I had the internet package I was paying for, they switched off the landline phone just like I asked, all was good.

Then, yesterday morning, I was browsing some youtube clips when I noticed that my speeds dramatically dropped. To an amazing 1.2kb/s, no I am not joking and yes, I am sure ;)

So I checked my windows update logs, nothing that should have affected it, reinstalled my network drivers, reset my virgin modem from my browser to factory defaults. Before wasting my time with the cretins at Virgin again I decided to assume that, considering their lowest possible package is much faster than this that there is some sort of problem at my end.

I was already in the process of building a system for someone so decided to install all the relevant drivers and a copy of Windows XP pro, I plugged in the same 50m ethernet that is running directly from the modem and it was as before, 1.2kb/s.

So this is not a hardware issue if I am correct, but does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? It's taking me around 90 seconds + just to load an empty thread page on bit...

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I feel your pain.

I had to call the morons last night to downgrade my package, took 45 minutes of being moved around ffs.

Also what bugged me was for the last 12 months I have been paying the price currently advertised for 30mb and getting 20mb.

Horrid horrid company.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

There may be a fault in your area, it's not uncommon, just to say though, I have found VM to be pretty good when dealing with them. I've always managed to get 50Mb when conducting speedtests.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

is it dsl? try taking the filters off all lines in and unplugging the phones

plug the dsl line in directly (that's all these splitters do anyway- it's a passthrough for dsl).. reset your modem/router and see if you get your speed back.. the filters can go for various reasons and cause all kinds of problems

5. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

That is the sort of speeds I see from VM when I have hit my daily limit and now have a throttled service,

6. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

I don't mean to sound condescending here but, have you tried a different ethernet cable or wireless?

Also occasionally through maintenance or a line fault in the area the connection can die or go ridiculousy slow. Best to check that before going further?

EDIT: VM have a service status page, you enter your area details and it will tell you if there is any faults or maintenance going on