Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I'm wondering if we will ever see a graphics card that can truly handle Crysis with full AA, AF and at 1080p resolution.

2. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Was just gonna post the dirt 2 link to hardocp myself but u boys are quick off the mark. All the tinfoil hat wearers out there could be concluding this little glitch is very convenient for nvidia, cos most reviews are stating the 480 is hammering ati in ati's flagship game

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Did any of you read the whole review? All whopping 35 pages? Statements like "The cooler itself it not at all noisy." (sic) and phrases like "stunning and dominating performance shows for the GXT 400 series", "MASSIVE performance lead for the GTX 480" and "unprecedented performance" (and those are just for the FC2 benchmark, and yes, the cards do perform well in it) don't really belie impartiality. The phrasing gets even more colourful later on ("sodomizing", anyone).

Granted, they throw in a few negatives here and there, but this is by far the most glowing and positive review of the GTX4xx series I've read so far. Even the Fudzilla review isn't nearly as glowing, which is odd considering how pro-nVidia they are.

Now, my own phrasing might have been a bit "inflammatory"... :) I blame the lateness of the hour. :p I still think the Guru3D review is a bit too much, though.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  4. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Who cares what everybody says. If you've got the money, you probably don't give a crap anyway. And you probably want two.

This card is a flat out disappoint given it's release date, price point and expectation level. I value my ears, wallet and the rest of my PC's thermal performance and so I won't be buying one. I'd be happy to lose the odd FPS here and there for that.

What's more interesting to me is what they'll do further down the range. But I suspect the thermal situation isn't going to improve....

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

A very good oven?

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

If they are placed close enough? The HYPER-TOASTER 3000X XTX ZZX TX

7. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

5870 + George Foreman Grill = €420

GTX 480 = €550

No contest

Elton and Baz like this.
  8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

With Tri SLI being the Ultra Extreme Hot Hot Hot version?

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Stop with the grill/toaster references FFS! I'm getting hungry... :p

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Are there any corrections to be made?

11. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

talking of which, the cheese toastie maker in the office is calling.

om nom nom

12. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Perhaps your looking at the driver issues here.... Any BETA driver can give horrendous results, i mean even the 196.75 drivers for example had major implications in fan control of Nvidia cards... I think the test should have been conducted with stable drivers from both ATI and Nvidia.... These beta drivers could well be a point to test Fermi, but i reckon Nvidia will release the official driver that will show Fermi's capability... Who knows maybe the driver itself can help in all aspects such as the temperature, FPS and even the fan spin up?
    I think once the drivers are WHQL signed and officially released should these tests have been conducted... I remember you did this around the time of the 4000 series being released using a Beta driver then, showing some 'o.k' results. As such i dont consider your tests conclusive at all!

13. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

How about no?!

nVidia have had bloody ages to get this thing looking good and they've failed. The whole internet is raging about it and the amount of damage that has done will not be insignificant.

The drivers should have been ready to go with the card. Just like the ATi cards were tested with whatever was available at the time of release.

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

when my local trade place gets the GTX480 in i have one my self (maybe day before official rel date as well)

i currently use 1 9800GX2, GTX280 before that but that died (to many times power loss killed it)

i like to get the ATI cards but cant Trust the drivers to work when an game comes out (BC2 is good one for that still not fixed after 2-3 months) BC2 runs to slow on an 9800GX2 so i just want an fast Single GPU (5970 is not an single GPU) GTX480 apart from the noise and heat faster then an 5870 most of the time

and the card is not out untill the 12th i think so Nvidia do not need WHQL drivers until rel time and Nvidia None WHQL drivers are norm good any way

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

very true look actually

look at the 4870 and 260 when they girst came out the 4870 was way better but after a few months the 260 was quite a bit better and that was down to the new drivers

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  16. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

There's one more question to go: Will anyone actually be able to buy one of these things come May 1st? I suspect they'll be all sold out and never produced again.

17. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

thought they was coming around 12th April

18. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

very true look actually

look at the 4870 and 260 when they girst came out the 4870 was way better but after a few months the 260 was quite a bit better and that was down to the new drivers[/QUOTE]

I never remember there being any daylight between the two on any site.

19. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Ah cool thanks for clearing that up.

20. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well looks like I've no need to wait till the April buyers guide after all, seems nvidia have clawed back on the performance in some places but only if you can afford to run your own power station and heat your house using their new architecture, perhaps we'll see more of these in houses of the future, lol

I had hoped nvidia might have had an ace up their sleeve and it's sad it ended up in disappointment for me and many others. I can't help notice that some intitial price checks average these cards at around £100 more than ATI's 5870, So looks like a shiny new 5 series from ATI for me!

Tags: Add Tags