1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Odd issues in certain games

Discussion in 'Software' started by SmilerAl, 7 Mar 2011.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Many games are performing terrible for the last week or so, basically either not working that well to just not working at all. The games

L4D2: Runs 100FPS+ but after a minute or so of gaming I may get horrible freezing if I move my mouse by a mm

Gmod: Similar performance

CS:S: Similar performance

So I thought it might be something with Source engine, but I tried Stalker CoP (a terrible game for performance) and I started a new game, the load time took about 2 minutes and then the game freezes a few seconds after starting the game

Games that definitely work as well as they have done for months though are JC2, Civ 4 and Crysis.

I'm beginning to suspect my GPU, I've been having odd issues with it on Steam for a while, and now certain games are playing up, ironically Crysis is running brilliant. I really need help solving this please.

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I was going to say temperatures but you said crysis is running fine. Any chance you can check your cpu / ram usage, maybe something is interfering making them spike? Tried to disable anti-virus / put into silent mode and see if that were to make any difference.

Have you made any hardware or software changes between when the games were running fine and now?

3. SmilerAl

Nah temps are fine, I think I might be onto something. According to MSI, my GPU uses 99% load on Crysis, JC2 and Metro 2033 (all working perfect). But on games I've mentioned that are sucking right now don't seem to use much load (like 30%). Could my GPU load be causing these spikes?

CPU and RAM are never maxing out either, I even downclocked my CPU to factory settings to just make sure. As for software and hardware changes, not really, the only change I can think of is updated Steam into the latest version (with the screen shots).

4. Deders

Deders Modder

could be a drver issue, sometimes newer drivers break games.

5. SmilerAl

Apparently it's becoming a big problem, Steam forums are picking up on a pattern of people with otherwise superb rigs getting **** performance in Source games. And the indication is the updates.