1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Orange UK [Phone contract issue]

Discussion in 'General' started by aLtikal, 25 Mar 2012.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Update on post 7

Anyone had this before?

Since finishing my Orange contract (£35/pm) and entering the 1-month-rolling they have silently removed my 500mb mobile data. Which IIRC has always been part of the contract and not a bundle, or a loyalty reward.

Its not a bundle as I have never added to my account.
    Its not a loyalty reward (I picked the -£2.50 off each bill instead)

As a result, for the last 3 months I have been charged per/MB meaning each bill is +15-20 pounds above the normal amount. The base cost of my contract has stayed the same during and after the contract. If it was a bundle and they had removed it then I would expect my bill to be -£5 (i.e. the cost of the bundle) - but its not - suggesting its definitely not a bundle that might have expired.

In the same context, imagine you were considering your options after your contract had finished and you checked your bill to see that your set monthly 600-or-whatever minutes had just dissappeared and every call you had made for the last 3 months were costed - but your texts and internet stayed attached as normal...It doesnt make any sense

This happened to anyone else? Going to give them a call today. Had a good google around and nothing like this seems to have happened before.

:wallbash:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
  2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

T-Mobile did the same thing to me. I rang them and they said "oh yeah, sorry", added the data back on again and gave me a refund on all the excesses, no questions asked. Hopefully your experience will be the same!

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

cheers for hte heads up, my contract expires soon so i'll keep my eye on them.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'd phone them up and ask which rolling 1 month contract will be the best value for you, I never stay on the same deal after the initial term runs out as they network isn't subsidising the handset anymore so will have a better value 'sim only' deal available.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea I'm with 3 on a monthly rolling contract, I get 2000 minutes talk 5000 text and unlimited i/n for £25

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

giffgaff (O2) - £10/month and I get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data.

(barely use the minutes but unlimited texts and data is nicee)

7. aLtikal

Ok so i spoke to them today. Heres the latest.

Ive requested a copy of my contract (i was never sent one as it was an upgrade, and was agreed over the phone).

The package was a Canary - Good for calling and texting. When I upgraded to a smart phone they included a 500mb data. Orange are claiming this was not part of the contract, and it was a loyalty benefit that lasts a fixed 18months. I was never told this was a loyalty benefit - I assumed it was part of the contract and would roll-over as normal when the contract is finished. However because its a loyalty reward (remember I already have one loyalty reward of -£2.50 on each bill - Why would they give me two loyalty rewards!?).

It all spawns back to my contract, if it claims it as part of the contract then I have grounds for a refund but if it states it as a loyalty reward Ill have to swallow the charges :(

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I'm afraid they've got you, everything beyond your talk and text is treated as a bundle and is set to expire at the end of your contract period.

Usually they'll add you a new bundle or offer a complete new package if you're going sim online.

Source: 2 years working for Orange, dicking around with CSS and Wizard.

9. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss What's a Dremel?

another giffgaff user myself, can never trust these contract providers.

10. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I'm a giffgaffer :) and it's great :)

11. aLtikal

Fair enough - cheers for the input. That's what the women practically said over the phone. Although I feel orange should have made it clearer this was how it would pan out, or provide some sort of warning - for i was never told.

The giffgaff offers are ok, but not significantly better to the simonly deal ive got which is 300mins + ultd text + ultd data + 7 magic numbers + BT WiFi for £15/month (and 2 months free)

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

As far as im aware unless your locked into a contract they can change it as they see fit. Since it was one month rolling the contract ended and therefore was no longer available but what gets me is when i came to upgrade (panther 25) i had the option of being grandfathered. Technically this is the same thing, ie your on a plan and choose to keep it. The grey area about this is one i encountered with carphonewearhouse and O2 that 1month contracts are treated as pay as you go and are very quick hide the word contract when asking about upgrading, renewing etc and as such can be changed or discontinued at will.
    If they didnt send you proper documentation under EU law on contracts you can challenge them. It comes down to proof tho and limitation on the claim. Ie make claim in right time frame. Their are websites that explain the law and how to go about resolving it before calling in a legal team. I would hostly approach them and see if they could match something like giff gaff or if you dont wanna risk going with them (customer service id handled differently and while it does work can sometimes fall short) , personally id go with three.

Fev i font believe its entirely true but again a grey area. Technically the contract ended but the user continued it as a one month option. They had no right to switch him to "normal" terms. I do believe (but
    Will need to check exact wording and will appoligise if incorrect ) that orange allow the contract to continue the way ie T&C you signed as a 1month option once your contract expires.

13. aLtikal

Javaman your point about the contract is an interesting one. I honestly believe I was never sent the contract in paper. All the negotiation was agreed over the phone. And now when there is misinterpretation at the end of this contract I don't have any contract to follow by and justify if Orange have failed to adhere to their part.

Is this common? Have orange done anything wrong?

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If nothing was sent then yes. Your entitled to a copy of the contract and they have a copy too. By failing to send ot out they broke the law. The problem arises that its up to you to act when they break the law first by asking or notifying that they failed to send you. If no response then legal action should be taken. I cant fully remember but i think their is a limit to how long before you bring action.

My experience with orange has been great but i handle everything face to face and only questions over the phone when i want an answer quick or cant get to a shop. The only company ive had problems with not handing out contracts was asda cafe. Hell they broke every employment law possible >.>

I think orange are in the wrong, if they havent sent you a contract then yea. They may get round it by saying about terms online etc tho you had ammended terms. As for what the contract says, id have to look at legacy contracts and see. Ill have a look for you later when im home and see.