1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Painting ABS plastic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by razerz, 23 Nov 2010.

1. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

Hi, I might be able to get my hands on a Boblbee (link here for those who have not heard of them) backpack for cheap, but the "problem" is the color of the hardshell part, I want it in glossy white, but the seller only have black or blue.

Does anyone know of a safe (and durable) way to paint ABS plastic without weakening it?

I thought that with the wealth of knowledge of working with diverse materials someone might have happened upon a problem similar to this in the past.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Get some plastic bumper spray paint at the local car shop, use that then paint as normal.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

2 best tips i can give you from what I done at work "Prep and Key" get these really good and its not to bad to spray Abs.

the solvent issue is not a problem for it just dust coat sand dust sand its heavy spray that will casue problems both with structure of the plastic and will look terible.

also rember if you get one you will need to gray or red under coat then white under coat then your top coat allways sanding between any coat

o and after key rember to wash with something like washing up liquid and water

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

where i work we manufacture lots of things made of ABS. we use stuff called Acrycote. It is quite expensive. It is mixed with some sort of accelerators and whatever else. It is like an epoxy. No primer needed. Just one coat of paint and its all good.