Modding Semi Unique... UPDATED! (!56k)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FearsomeMouse, 25 Oct 2003.

1. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

Hi all...

I've posted these pics in a reply to another thread... but some claim that they were dead links?!?

So in the interest of inspiring others, and of good case modding, i've posted these pics up here for all to see, plus more! This should give some of you the inspiration to do something different (mabey something you've been thinking about doing but not yet worked up the courage to do it?)

Either way - I've got my proper hosting set up, and have written a short guide of one of those ideas that just happened to emerge from the chaos and disorganisation that is my mind... (Please let me know if the pics arn't coming up!!)

Ok, so you take your ordinary MS (scarily) wheel mouse optical (i dont hav the 'blu' version) and change the leds... I'm sure you all know how to do this...

cut a couple of "slits" (i don't know how to put that nicer!) in the bottom of the mouse - relatively close / on the corner where the wall and floor molding meets... - see pics...

then you add a few high powered (3000mcd) leds (in my case - 8) and wire them up - hopefully a bit nicer than this...

you remove that little plastic bit (the red filter) and get some glad wrap...

fit the glad wrap in the mouse where the existing hole used to be with quite alot of slack so it can full with glue. Use a blue flame or heat gun to smooth over the exterior when you've filled it up... NOTE: Dont use too much heat or it will seep into the mouse requiring you to painstakingly cut the glue out if you ever want to use the mouse with a top cover again...

[​IMG]
    Ok, that burned / grotty looking bit is a result of a "Dont Do" - forbidden words in the modding community i know - but for a result that's not like this i'd recommend not using an orange flame to mold the finishing touches on the glue - or for that matter - using any kinda heat for too long a period. Use either one of those pen blow torches that has a "BLUE" flame or a heat gun - i'll fix this when i get one of the above mentioned.

[​IMG]
    use a glue gun to fill the glad wrap. If all goes to plan, the glad will melt, holding the glue in place. For best results, do this AFTER screwing your mouse bak together again...

[​IMG]
    for a more even dispersion of light for the leds in the cuts/slits at the bottom of the mouse, use a gluegun to fill the gap near the ends of the led or some fogged perspex (or use it longways...)

CAUTION: dont put the leds in a spot where you "think" the mouse will close but actually wont! - a mistake i made which ment i had to remove them, and left scaring on the interior of the mouse... :wallbash:

[​IMG]
    The overall effect - in my case - a blu green mouse to go with the theme of my case - also blu green (Still needs some work. - alot of work...:dremel: )

[​IMG]
    ohh - and Sir Duck...

Sorry that the images are a little blurry... I've got to work on that. Here are some finishing pics of the mouse in all its glory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok ppl - i'd like to hear your feedback - and flame me about the wiring :duh: if you so wish - I know it's dodgy... :hip:
    hahaha

That is all

--FearsomeMouse

Last edited: 30 Oct 2003
  2. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

looks good :thumb:

And i dont think i could have done much better about the wiring so i'll let you of and not flame ya

3. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

That looks really really wicked...
    sorry to high jack ur post though FearsomeMouse but is it possible blue the led in the logitech m-bd58 mouse???

i was thinking about it for a long time and no body seems to know if its possible or if its even been done before.....

cheers and sorry again FearsomeMouse :(

Rm :p

4. FearsomeMouse

Changing your mouse LED...

My guess is yes... but i'm not familiar with this mouse. I did a quick search for it on the logitech site (australian) and it didn't come up - could you post a pic - should giv me some idea on the viability to change it or not.

I can't foresee any difficulties... but I could be wrong :rolleyes:

As for the hijacking thingy - it's all kool - we're here to help each other! I dont mind in the least! :dremel:

--FearsomeMouse

5. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

yeh ill just get a pic and a domain to put it on

6. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

that looks really kool

how hard was it to do?

I'm kinda amazed that the mouse would be able to take so many LED's :rolleyes:
    very kool though

7. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

excellent work, FearsomeMouse. I love the two-tone colour scheme. Would be interesting to see the side light like a shark's gills (a couple of slots at say 45 degree angles).

8. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

righty okay... so my webspace wouldnt work however... i have found an iccle piccy of it.....

[​IMG]

I do also have a pic of the guts of the mouse as i have just cracked open the mouse to see the insides... but i cant upload it....... :wallbash:

9. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

that pic isn't loading
    :blush: ok it is

that logitech logo stick thing is so going to be modded I can tell already :rock:

10. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

hang on guys.... ill open up a new thread.... dont want to take away fearsomemouse's ten seconds of fame!
    :naughty:

11. FearsomeMouse

Interesting proposal!

I neva thought of that to be honest - it certainly has potential! The most appealing thing is that it wouldn't require any extra LED's (I think one should start worrying at the point of mounting a total of more than 10 leds in a mouse :eyebrow: )

I'll have a think about it as the main thing i want to avoid is overcrowded modding - modding a case beyond the point where it looks good - and hence i've opted for the whole two colour scheme. (keyboard comes next) I was thinking about making a perspex wheel and giving it the green glow effect - not too busy but eye catching. opinions?

Thanks all for all of your compliments / suggestions - sincerly appreciated!

Not that hard actually - the most difficult part was the wiring - naturally, and the most time consuming was experimenting with the different ways of molding the hot glue and fixing it into the mouse - had a tendancy to run inside rather than form the shape i wanted!

I managed to lift a couple of the tracks in the mouse when soldering - not good. In fact - they basically lifted themselves... and i begin to (if i hadn't already) question the quality of microsoft mice. I've got to devise a way to remove that logo.... :worried:

12. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

13. FearsomeMouse

ok - me again

Seems everytime i post - someone else has as well - at least it gives me something 2 do on a sat night at home...

That mouse has potential... - as ChegsJAR pointed out - i can see the logitech symbol bit being modded - is it removable? (without the cutting) Pics can be decieving...

If you get rid of that you could use either a bit of perspex and shape it wif a bit of heat or use a drill / dremel and drill some holes in a pattern shape of your choosing and use hot glue gun glue to fill it up - with a bit of lighting it'd look sweet - similar to the back - you could drill / cut mabey three holes along the back the centre one larger than the ones left and right of it, with a bit of glu to smooth it off and some blu (or the colour of your choosing) giv it some glo!

Cutting the slits in the bottom (should you choose to) shouldn't be a prob either, or as mence pointed out a couple of "shark gills" at 45 on the side - line it with perspex on the inside (light dispersion) and whallah (however you spell that) you got yourself a mouse - new and exciting...

These are only suggestions, but i hope they help

Cheers :clap:

--FearsomeMouse

14. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

Re: Interesting proposal!

Definitely! The ice wheel mod is very very cool and dead easy to do.

15. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

SORRY FEARSOMEMOUSE!!!

didnt mean to high jack ur thread... and thank you for the advice too

RM :p

16. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

It looks nice. Nothing to say on the wiring either. As long as it's hidden, you can have it as messy as you want. (Not that I do :worried:)
    I've actually done that before too. I have replaced a section of a mouse with glue. I don't have any pics of it, as I've now painted it over with black again (this is just an experiment mouse I have).
    What you could actually do is to use epoxy glue instead of hot glue. The epoxy will dry harder and is easier to sand and work with afterwards.
    One more thing - when I "cast" hot glue, I always use masking tape. I have tried to use plastic, but the plastic just melts, letting the glue run through.

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Nice, just needs the cover vinyldye'd black and it'd be super sweet!

18. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

I just had to come and ask, what is the unique part in this mod? We all have seen lights added to a mouse, I did it the first time almost three years ago, casting windows for them with epoxy and hot glue. Also ice/fire/forest wheels are ancient ideas so... Am I missing something here? :)

19. FearsomeMouse

perhaps your right :sigh: But I had a little dig around on the net a while ago, and i haven't seen anything with the "slits" idea- As with all things in modding - there's no guarentee that it hasn't been done already!

I suppose what i ment to say was that it's a less common mod - since i havent seen anything similar to it (apart from the ice/fire/frosted wheels and windows from perspex / epoxy || changed leds...)

I thought it was unique - that's good enuf 4 me :lol:

--FearsomeMouse

20. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Mouse what kind of LED's did you use? I have the same mouse and im going to just replace the red LED's with blue ones but I need to know what kind. :eyebrow: