1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Shogun 2: Total War announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

優れた

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I'd be getting this - I loved the first.

4. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

hoo-ray. Been waiting about 5 years or so for this announcement...

5. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

Cannot wait!! Love the whole range with the exception of Empire which was average

6. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

yay, looking forward to this

Last edited: 3 Jun 2010
  7. flipdart

flipdart What's a Dremel?

the same but different? cool. and a few less identical unit types and factions can't hurt.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

**** Yeah!

9. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Do want, especially for the one man epic unit <3!

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I can't wait. I was rather worried that the Total War series was going to continue with their current trend of getting more and more modern and potentially go for something properly ridiculous like the US Civil War or World War 1, despite it being massively obvious that while the graphics look the part the battle AI is all over the shop and cannot handle that level of sophistication.

A return to their fairly well proven systems for sword and bow combat, coupled with state of the art graphics and increased detail and depth to the game should make for another classic. Really it's theirs to mess up, but in footballing terms it ought to be a tap-in.

11. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

i guess this is another wait and see. The total war games should be good in theory but...........
    Creative Assembly's recent releases have been appallingly bug ridden, and their community relations and support are amongst the worst in the industry.
    IIRC the studio head said that only after the fifth or so patch for empire, over a year after release was he happy to show the game to his "friends". He obviously thinks the consumers are mugs then!

12. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

Shogun 2 is just lazy they could of done china when they try to invade japan or the mongolia's invation of china and that

13. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

I REALLY hope that this means they will get around to doing Rome 2: Total War. Let's face it, it's what we are all waiting for.

14. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Rome 2 would be more epic than any Empire managed, the original was for me the most "magical" of all the series and the one that lended itself most to PC gaming.

15. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I didn't really like Rome until it got modded, and even then it's a little drab. The problem with Rome is that the factions are quite asymmetrical. The Romans fight one way, the Gauls another, the Greeks another, the Persians another and so on.In some way the variety makes it more interesting, but I think it also detracts slightly because each faction becomes something of a one trick pony and you end up just trying to pull your factions trick on the enemy before they do it to you. In Medieval 2 armies were more similar, so you could have proper stand up fights. You can do this in Empire and Napoleon, but the weak battle AI is a factor.

16. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Honestly I'd love to see them broaden out a little more and do the Greek warring period, peloponseian wars, great wars in china during the formation of the empire, etc.

Some day if the AI is up to it I'd love to see something like the Civil War, Crimean war, etc. I don't know about WWI or II. or more modern. To me it would get tricky once battle fields are measured in dozens of miles instead of just maybe a mile or three. That plus mixing say armored vehicles and airplanes in with infantry/cavalry would make things pretty tricky both on AI and user control of the battlefield/forces.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Spanish American war or say a general Victorian Total War. Arguably cooler naval ships, still infantry and cavalry tactics, though with some more modern weapons mixed in. Possibly still managable. Who knows, maybe one of these years.
    -Matt

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Naval + land battles seem interesting.

18. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

They'd just better don't do Universe : Total War.

19. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Laser Tanks v Swords!

20. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Warhammer: Total War... :D

I'm very excited by Shogun 2. I loved the original. The animations for samurai could end up being a lot of fun too

Tags: Add Tags