1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony hikes PlayStation Plus fees by a quarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

How much for one ink cartridge?!!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I... you... huh?

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'll be honest. I hardly use my PSPlus sub. Certainly for the last six months I've logged in precisely twice; too busy. I've felt the games on offer get progressively less interesting... at least until they offered Until Dawn last month.

And yet, I'll probably still keep the sub active. It's been £40 for quite some time, and while a 25% hike is way more than I would like to see, I've seen larger price increases in shorter timescales before now.

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Those replacement razor blades sure aren't cheap....

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, if I'm understanding you at last, you're suggesting that the cost of PS+ is 'razor blade marketing' from Sony, right? Sell the handle (printer, by your original metaphor) at a loss and make up on the consumables?

Doesn't really fit. Don't get me wrong, it was very much true at launch, but the PS4 has been directly profitable for a while now - which makes hiking PS+ up by 25% even less excusable, in my opinion.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If it was just that price hike alone, but keep in mind that we've recently had other bad stuff happening on the PS4, Sony refusing to allow mods (unlike xbox), Sony refusing to work with Microsoft to implement cross platform multiplayer and Sony allowing the playstation store to become the new dumping ground for anti devs in the wake of the steam greenlight shutdown.

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

For some reason the title of this is bugging me, and I cant let it go :S
    describing it as a quarter, although technically correct; feels wrong - 25% would feel better...
    /grump

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This is another reason why I always found the PC gaming costs a fortune over console argument false.

10. Gareth Halfacree

I did the maths on this once. Turns out console gaming is cheaper unless you buy some unreasonable number of games and don't upgrade your PC at all for the whole lifespan of the console.

I've probably still got the spreadsheet with the graph in it, somewhere... Naturally, it involved various assumptions - I mean, PC gaming is cheaper if you buy a £100 Chromebook and play Facebook games all day...

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Just renewed for £39.99..... winning

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

£39.99 in 2010 money = £49.20 in 2017 money. So 'because inflation' about covers it.

Tags: Add Tags