1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Starting an MMO, but which!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chemo, 18 May 2011.

1. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

I used to be into world of warcraft but quit last year but the itch is back for an MMO.
    now to rebuy everything for warcraft, which i will have to do as i no longer have an account, it will be costly £60ish and ive read and heard its not the game it once was.
    so im now leaning towards buying rift for about £23 i think it is online (if anyone knows anywhere cheaper then let me know:))

so is rift worth buying at this stage, is it still doing well and improving?
    or shuld i just go back to wow and see formyself if its as bad as some say?

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

As far as I am aware, Rift have a 7 day trial thing going again at the moment.

I liked my time in EVE Online, sucked me right in, but I couldn't do the micro.

3. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I play DC Universe online, but it is so sparse in terms of other players I think it's going to fail within 2 years.

Gameplay and storyline is really good though!

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I've been playing Rift, its a well refined game and not bad for an early MMO. The quests however are SO tedious compared to WoW's revamp, and the starting area (I'm level 18) seems very drab.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Rift is desperately trying to follow the class system of GW and fails, badly. It's really not the game it could be.

LotRO would be too slow paced for an ex-WoW player i think but worth a look since i think it has a great look to it and follows Tolkeins world nicely (apart from the odd bit of artistic licence by devs)

EvE is fantastic if you fancy a change to a Sci-Fi genre.

Champions Online can be fun but is horribly easy.

APB was great fun until the company folded. It's in the process of being redone by another company and it was a good laugh for the short time i played it.

Guild Wars is still active with a surprising amount of people but is ultimately grind for titles and thats about it now. Guild Wars 2 is well worth waiting for.

The Old Republic is another one for the future to look out for.

6. chemo

thanks for the replies guys, i was all set for getting rift as ive been hearing 95% bad thigns about wow and good things abotu rift. im not too interested in any others really, ive tried them all and wow has never really been bettered for any length of time, once the novelty free month goes ive never resubbed to any others.
    i guess im hearing bad things from people who are just plain bored of wow and looking for something else, which is how i felt last year tbh.
    that or the wotlk crowd are the ones moanign that its gone back to the days of vanilla and tbc where gear isnt given out for free and everything is puggable etc.

im still torn between the two! :)

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Rift to me felt between a hybrid between WoW and WAR (but without most of the bits that make each title good). It is a nice game, but is somehow just really, really dull. I think mainly due to the quests all being "kill x of y, collect x of y" quests.

City of heroes is a good bit of fun, normally plenty of people willing to team.

8. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

guildwars is pretty decent, and you should be able to get it dirt cheap now:)

9. chemo

i have the first guildwars which i played before wow, and i just couldn't get back into it after wow. Have just left town with the first 2 parts to warcraft anyway so the deed is done :)

10. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I must say, I've played WoW, GW, EVE and Rift and I still go back to WoW. I don't know why, perhaps it's just a comfort zone thing, but I find the sheer vastness of WoW fun. I only started playing it near the end of TBC and left halfway into WotLK so it's not as if I've been a long-term player. I reactivated a few weeks back and am enjoying Cataclysm so far.

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm constantly switching between World of Warcraft, Mortal Online and EVE Online.
    Everything else I've played just hasn't held anything in particular that makes me want to continue; I'm always keeping my eye out and Beta testing everything that gets sent my way but am yet to find a game that meets the high standards of WoW & EVE or does the sheer open madness of Mortal to a decent level.

Rift was good until about 5 weeks in when it gradually progressed into a dull atmosphere with not much seeming worth the time. The same more or less happened with City of Heroes and Warhammer Online as well.

I've been keeping a close eye on ArchAge, The Secret World and TERA as of late... though TERA is looking a little too hectic for my tastes in fantasy style games. ArchAge seems to be developing into a bit of a gem though.

12. chemo

i hear you about warhammer which i bought on release day, even drove to another city to pick it up as local shops didnt even have it in stock. and then aion was a failure which i bought on release day.

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Really???

I still play Aion when I'm not on Rift, and still think it's great. It's an MMO for 'grown ups' though, when compared to the cartoonish, pre-pubescent adolescent filled world of whingecraft. :)

14. chemo

i only really liked the visual style of it and was filled with the buzz around the game at the time. that soon wore off and i didnt sub to it. i hear its going free to play at some point or atleast its a rumour so i will try it again, but its not worth paying for imho, LOTRO has aion nailed in every way for me and thats free too

15. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

I'm back on Wow. They couldn't keep me away. It's the most popular because it is the best. I love the majority of the changes they've made to it as well. Made it really fresh again.

16. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Does anyone here play Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning? Just wanted to know if its worth something. Looking for another MMO, but seriously not up for the grind up x level only then to actually play the game.

17. chemo

i asked this a few weeks back and the general concesus was not to bother as the game isnt in a great state or its not very busy. its such a wasted opportunity though, i was hoping it would do really well, purely to be in that warhammer universe :rock:

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

WAR was amazing when it first started, then the population died off so they did a free trial up to level 10, which i believe is still the case. This means that the opening areas are really busy and it looks good, but then when you subscribe, the 11-20 areas and above are DEAD!!

Shame because it had so much potential. I toughed it out for a year before I cancelled. Now I'm looking forward to the 40k MMO next year.

19. chemo

Pfft, Rift is 50% off on greenmangaming this weekend. looks like i was a day too hasty haha!

20. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I've had enough of Rift. The quests and areas are so boring.