1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Street Fighter IV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

hmmmmmm, there is something that just doesnt sit right with the look of the game, its caught between modernising them and keeping that mentioned retro feel and i just dont know it works for it or not...all i need is a ps3 to start playing some of these games!

fatman

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Strictly speaking wasn't the Weapon Master mode in Souledge before Calibur?

4. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

Most realistic review of this i've read. Abel's move annoys the hell out of me too!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yes it was, it was also called soulblade here in the eu and i swear by it being the best beat em up ever made.

6. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Games like this are called fighting games, or fighters, not beat'em ups, which refers to games like Final Fight or Streets of Rage.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

bought the game yesterday, been looking forward to it for ages.

i have to say i'm a bit disappointed, i find it far too difficult on easier settings and the special moves just dont feel right to me, it seems to just stop doing a move half way through a fight which can be very frustrating.

ok so im not a fighter pro or whatever but the single player side of this game just feels stupidly unfair to me

8. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I still have SoulBlade, it was the best. I'm a big Street Fighter fan, my teenage years was spent inviting friends and my brother to an unfair challenge against me. The name Streetfighter brings back all those good gaming memories,....... but I think I might have out grown the game.

I have one question, can you challenge real people online? That would have me sold.

Edit: I reread the article, there is online. Great!

Last edited: 21 Feb 2009
  9. Darkhadou

Darkhadou What's a Dremel?

Worst review I've read, it sounds to me you guys really didn't bother LEARNING the game before reviewing it. SFIV's notorious for being TOOOOO easy on easiest difficulty, hell all you need to do is F+HK and you've won as demonstarted in several YouTube videos.

And of course it brings a lot to the series compared to SF2 you've got a heavy influence on linking, specials, ultras, cancelling, focus dash cancelling, x-y axis spacing. Just seems gamers are getting lazier and lazier, and actually suggesting making SFIV is proof of that. I suggest you actually TRY to learn the game as a standalone game without your supposed nostalgia factor crap.

And generalising all casual SF players as 'button mashers' is a gross generalisation. Reading that was disheartening after the quality of reviews I've come to expect from you guys I really would have hoped you gave it a proper play through rather than the "yay SF, nostalgia again" --> "trial mode" and then boom. Flawed review.

10. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

i kinda agree with Darkhadou although i was never a big fan of SF. There should be something more in this game, it has a history and big tournaments held in its name. I know these types of games can get annoying when fighting with the CPU but if you let the AI do the same moves on you, then you deserve to lose, find a way to block it or counterattack it. It appears as a button masher for the average player but i'm sure that games like god of war and heavenly sword are more of a button mashers than SF is.

I also agree with the statement that gamers lately have become really lazy, and they seem to want everything served to them on a silver plate. Not that I complain about that since i'm a casual gamer myself.

11. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

In short, its hard... with a verticle learning curve.

What you can do to stop getting your face pummled is far from obvious. Despite the genre and appearance its not really a pick up and play game. Now that need not be a game braker but there is nothing to keep the noobs (like me) playing.

There is nothing wrong with a game being hard, but the phrase 'easy to pick up, a lifetime to master' is what you want go by.

12. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Don't blame Joe. I agree with his Review. It's a solid game, but it was Capcom, not Joe who said they wanted Street Fighter IV to bring in newcomers. If being required to master EVERY aspect of the game before even being able to beat the computer on MEDIUM setting (Don't forget the difficulty still goes higher), then how will they bring in newcomers? The learning curve alone is enough to make an average gamer go back to Tekken or Soul Calibur. and honestly, the nostalgia is the ONLY thing keeping me playing at the moment. If not for that I would have taken the game back already and waited for Tekken 6. This isn't about gamers being lazy. This is calling a spade a spade. Some gamers are too difficult. But that isn't to say they are suppose to be easy, but c'mon, Easiest, Very Easy, and Easy (and even Medium) are misleading in Street Fighter IV. And most people playing would prefer to use more than F+HK to win. The fighters don't have special and ultra moves for nothing.

13. Elz

Elz miaow

This game is beautiful, but I'm in agreement with the rest that say it's too hard. It's not actually that, it's that it's hard in the wrong way.

I do however think that the comment on not knowing about all the special moves is unfair. I dived right in and didn't have a clue as well, apart from the traditional SF special moves. But I mean, I knew that, and have only myself to blame. Once I'd spent some time in the training area and read the manual it all made sense.

What really annoys me though is having to fight with the 360 pad. So many times I go to pull off a hadoken and I end up doing a dragon punch, more often than not when my opponent is nowhere near me, thus i miss and land right in front of their fist. That really annoys me. The ultras are also stupidly difficult to pull off. I was under the impression that capcom had implemented some system which was more lenient, interpreting what you wanted to do even if the input isn't exactly right. At the moment though I'm pulling off moves that I had no intention of and struggling to make them happen when I want to.

Also, when Zangief throws you, waits for you to get up then throws you again, how the hell do you stop it? Seriously, I'm asking. I feel like I've tried everything yet if he wants to throw me he will. This was mentioned in the review, but I've got to believe that's not right and I'm just crap; if it really is possible to be thrown infinitely without any possible reply, then that's just really shitty design.

14. Darkhadou

Darkhadou What's a Dremel?

LOL just jump out of the way as soon as you get up or do a wake up reversal like a dragon punch, flash kick etc.

15. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

Sounds like the review awarded the game a lower than expected score due to the difficulty level and learning curve. Is it not through challanging games we see the most creative and interesting gameplay develop? I rather have a game with balls than being spoon feed to play it ...

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No offense to SF, which is a game we did like despite everything (hence the satisfactory score), but Street Fighter is never seriously going to be listed as one of the most creative and interesting gameplay ideas by anyone but fanboys. The gameplay isn't bad at all - but it is just a fighting game and it doesn't compare to other, better titles and genres.

The problem here actually compacts as it goes on. There are sure, cheap exploits to win the game with (such as just spamming Blank's electric). The main way the AI stops you doing that is to just do it's own throws over and over. The only way to defeat these is to do either the super elaborate special moves that 90 percent of people can't do or to spam different moves of your own. Either way, you end up just repeating the same moves over and over.

Luckily, the game manages to redeem itself a lot more in multiplayer - though these exploits that let players spam the same moves over and over will inevitably appear there too soon.

17. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but they aren't exploits. Unless you also call kicking the ball in a football game an exploit, since that's what the players do most of the match. If someone does the same move over and over and wins then you deserve to lose.

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Only if them doing that move over and over gives you a chance to defend and you don't take it. I'm not talking about that. If the AI did a throw, then gave you a chance to get up etc. before doing it again then that's one thing. This isn't like that.

19. LA26

LA26 What's a Dremel?

This review let me down.

The game isn't THAT hard but it isn't a walk in the park either.

I've beated Medium with the majority of the characters and only missing 4 ( Akuma,Goken,Rose,Seth).

I think more time should have went into grasping the basic concepts of combat before you attempted to play the game.

I've even went 1/1 on med-hard with Ken so it isn't impossible sometimes you just need to learn how to fight without always lunging at your opponent or letting someone getting close and attempting to grab you instead of cancelling it and grabbing them.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I think if you played SF2, and slowly worked your way forwards, this would be a perfect game. But taken as a stand alone entry into the series, and if the control systems are anything like the previous few games (which I've heard they are: I've not played SF4), then in all honesty they're completely outdated. In something like Soul Calibur 2 (greatest fighting game ever), all you need to know is what the buttons do, and the rest just makes sense. SF has never been about that, it's been about memorising the controls and forming the perfect muscle memory in order to win the match. This sort of control method had its place in the 90s, but it just doesn't work nowadays imo. MK suffers from the same fate.

Tags: Add Tags