1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's what bumpers are for

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Nov 2006.

1. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Limited Slip Diff?
    I agree though, will be easyer for the average person, inclueding my family (exclueding my brother)

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

It's quite possible, and easy to turn off "Idiot Mode" in vista.

The first, harshest, biggest step of this mode though is User Account Control (UAC) essentially, it checks EVERYTHING with you - if you try running ANYTHING or changing ANYTHING (the color of your Aero Glass included, thank you very much) if stop and pops up a little window locking you out of the OS until you tell Windows yay or nay.

Now; therein lies the problem. Sure, malicious apps can run willy-nilly, installing themselves, spawning demonic process children, clogging up the drives - but where does this go to? While this may be fine for the "middleweight" user, it doesn't suit us, nor Joe Public. For us geeks, being asked about EVERY SINGLE THING after we just chose to do it is extremely frustrationg - and that's understated, you can bet.

But what about Joe Public then, the chumps with kids, wives, granparents, who never even bothered to read what the big red bubble said on that firewall you put on, and just disabled the anti-virus so that they could go along, chuffing their way across limewire. Leave a PC in the hands of these children (take it as literal and metaphorical, thank you) will have it buggered up to six ways past tuesday so fast that you won't even be able to comprehend what they've done.

So yeah, in reality, it seems that more and more, people think technology is just some indestructable toy....

3. booya

booya What's a Dremel?

First Post :D Like the car refrences, made me laugh. Overall in agreement here!

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

booya, Welcome to the forums :thumb:

And somehow it's never their fault when it stops working. Actual quote from a co-worker who's job relies heavily on using a computer (read in an exasperated whine): "I don't know! I just clicked yes on the pop-up so it would go away - I didn't know it would install anything!!!" :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

or at least that's what bumpers were for. These days, bumpers are for little more than show on most cars (who's bright idea was it to switch to body coloured plastic that will chip and scratch if you look at it funny?) and offer about as much protection as Windows without a firewall.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

I crashed my car in August, the bumpers and the crumple zone directly behind it took the brunt of the force. I'm rather glad of them actually.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

A lot of this could have applied to MacOS many years ago - I had to use it at work from 1995 for a few years and found it very nannying at the time.

AS for what is progress in OS, I had a period in 2003-4 where I was working with NT4, W2k and XP machines - The bank was in a transition and I'm a developer. I always preferred the later OS just because the richer OS gives you more ways to do the same thing and I can choose the method I like. As long as Windows stays with the principal that each edition adds more ways to do the same thing we'll all be happy taking what we need from a new OS.

Tags: Add Tags