1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fragility of Life

Discussion in 'Serious' started by LennyRhys, 8 Aug 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

:)

I got more info on my friend's death - he died instantly from an epileptic seizure. He had suffered only three or four such seizures in his entire life, all serious, and the most recent one four years ago... little did he know that the next seizure he suffered would take his life.

2. Restayvien

Restayvien aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

My best and lifelong friend died of Leukemia just after Christmas 2006 at the age of 19, he was incredibly full of life and one of the nicest people I have ever known. No sense to it, but then there rarely is. Life hasn't been quite the same since, without meaning to sound glib, it's like flying without a wingman

3. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

Life is so fragile and I for one cherish everyday that I have.

A friend and I wondered why we hadn't heard from a friend for a couple of days so my other friend went to his flat where his neighbour had to take him into her flat to give us the news that he had been found dead. He was a type one diabetic who had a lapse whilst in the bath. He was only 33 and had a little boy but his mum and the boy was not living with him.

During a month stay touring Thailand a friend and I found ourselves next to Patong beach hiring a moped when the Taunami literally hit us. I still to this day remember the events but don't have the dreams anymore. We both survived relatively unscathed compared to some folk we met in the ensuring days.

I've also had three friends pass away in two separate light aircraft accidents, really makes me think every time I take to the skies.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I could have died on monday. It was my own stupidity and I could have severely injured a good friend of mine in the process. A car crash (caused by me driving recklessly fast) that I got in Monday should have injured me, or even killed me. If I was a few inches to the left or the right, I would've hit a tree or large rock and things would've been entirely different.

It's insane how close I was to death myself and how I could have hurt an entire family..

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

All driving is dangerous - many people are killed whilst driving responsibly.

It's good that you weren't seriously injured. I hope you will drive more carefully now! ;)

My sister is a doctor in Skye (west highlands of scotland) and she was driving home from Inverness on one of her days off, and she came across a pileup of four cars in which twelve youths (all teenagers) were injured, some seriously, and it was because of reckless driving. Sometimes the consequences of our actions are what teach us to be more responsible. :thumb:

mvagusta likes this.
  6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I know, no more fast driving for me. At all. Twas seriously insane. Being inches from death...

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

8. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Sorry for you lose mate, and everyone elses too. I had a coworker that had some sort of seizure issue, but would only spring up now and again. Apparently he felt it coming on and decided to drive himself to the hospital. He had an episode as he was driving and hit a tree, died from it. It really caught me off guard and was a wake up call - its surreal to think that you'll never speak to that person again. Life is precious indeed...

9. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

sorry to here about you loss I have had friends die at a young age and understand your thoughts on this

10. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Life is indeed precious. But fragile? Compared to what?
    Medicine and surgery is quite incredible these days and the average life expectancy is alway increasing. Life is short? Not as short as it use to be. That is a fact.

11. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

Suppose it depends on what you define as cutting your life short.
    Illnesses, diseases and accidents make the national average mortality irrelivant.

That being said, I'm sure being careful when crossing the road, eating healthily and generally looking after yourself improve your chances! :)

On another note, my wife and I speak to several people on the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy FB group and a couple of days ago a 14 year old called Dylan died - that sucks. It sucks a lot.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Life is fragile but it's also incredibly resiliant. Some people die from tripping over in the street, others survive getting limbs torn off.

It's the same for entire species, some can be killed off by a minute change in the environment while others spread to fill the entire globe.

Life finds a way.

13. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

A star that burns bright burns twice as fast

My Sympathys

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

“She looked at him rather sadly, like a mother trying to explain to an infant that, yes this flame was hot, too. All flames were hot. Trust her, please...

...Have you ever tried to return to all this?” he asked, gesturing. Quiet, warm, inhabited houses. Late-night cars. The real world. . .

She shook her head. All fire burns, little baby. You’ll learn. ”You can’t. It’s one or the other. Nobody ever gets both.”

- Richard Mayhem and Anaesthesia, in Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Medicine can't fix everything. Accidents happen. Sometimes, we don't even know how they die, they just do. And nobody is promised another day. We might predict it, but we're not promised anything.

16. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Nobody just dies. There is always a reason. When the body is damaged or fails to an extent it cannot sustain life and cannot be fixed, you die. That is life.

17. IDS-IPS

IDS-IPS What's a Dremel?

Nothing more important than loving your family and making every moment with them count. Spend everyday doing it, for some life is too short. We as people Just don't know who's going to come up with the short straw in life.

For some it's a hard lesson learned. :sigh:

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I think im not normal. Im lucky because i never lost anyone close to me (im 26) but, because of this, i dont know death and i never feared it. I almost died myself in february but i still dont fear death at all... i guess thats why i cant enjoy life that much

Im afraid this is all going to hit me at once

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it hits like a ton of bricks knuck.. then you become either fleece johnson or supermonkey

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it