1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trip across USA

Discussion in 'General' started by profqwerty, 3 Mar 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

that is a little steep, seeing how i pay 100 a month for myself, my girlfriend, and my home insurance.
    Most likely the age comes into factor, as insruance companies like to punish young people for being young.

2. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

it is normal for a rental company to charge about 15.00 us per day for insurance if you do not already have auto insurance.

3. EdfromUK

EdfromUK What's a Dremel?

guess its not too aweful then, at about $18 per day

4. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Hmm yeah it's all getting pretty complicated!

It looks very strongly like we'll be going round Europe now as it just seems easier tbh.
    There's not a *huge* difference apart from language.

I think we'll be buying a small (beat up) minibus [has seats we can use legally] and fitting the back out cheaply. This gives us more flexibility than the interrail ticket and lets us take bigger things with us. It doesn't matter if it gets knocked about a bit too. It could also be used for the festivals which would be nice!

We'd be camping out instead of sleeping in the bus, unless it's really bad weather or something.

It also means we can use the channel tunnel (not done that yet!).

5. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Whatever the case, if you end up on a US tour then make absolutely sure to spend time at the Grand Canyon. If hiking to the floor of the canyon then bring lots of water and good health. It also gets mighty hot down there. Up on the south rim, it's fairly moderate on most days. From Williams, you can take a train ride. Otherwise, plan on sleeping in Flagstaff. In Arizona, there are many famous Indian ruins as well.

Again, it is usually very hot in the southwest during the Summer. Make sure you get A/C with your vehicle! It will be helpful in many other regions as well. The east coast and south can be very humid.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cool, enjoy your trip.

I feel the need to aplogize on behalf of my country being so F*****D up, but there we are. If it makes you feel any better, i'd rather be taking my holiday in the UK.

7. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

profqwerty - if ya want any help advice or ideas on how to do it round the EU, feel free to give me a pm or add me on msn (if my address is round here somewhere, if not give me a pm n ill message ya it) I've spent a fair amount of time budgetting, working out how to fit a van and keep the resale value, and a few safety ideas me and a friend came up with. I might also have a spreadsheet kicking about that works everything out for you too though i dont know where thats got to atm.

good luck. remember - planning, planning, more planning, go, realise you've forgotten many things ;)

RwD

8. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

If you go to California then make sure you check out some Redwoods - ancient and amazing.