1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Virus woes on laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Solid_dean, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Solid_dean

Solid_dean What's a Dremel?

Im having a bit of a carry on with my laptop at the mo (eee 1000h) which wont seem to boot into safe mode, it got a virus not too long ago which infected the asyncmac.sys file in system32/drivers. AVG picked this up instantly and apparently sorted out the problem. I decided to try and boot to safe mode to do a virus and malware scan just to make sure it was all clear.

When I try to boot safe mode it comes up with the BSOD and an error code of 0x0000007b. I searched for this and found that its something to do with not picking up the hard drive. Any suggestions on what to do here? I can get into windows normally by the way and its running XP Home Edition.

Trying not to reinstall windows as it could be a bit difficult as the laptop has no disc drive and I currently don't have a external one.

2. AndyCubb

AndyCubb Victory is mine!

Hey Solid_dean, anything happened with this since your last post?
    The error code could also simply be the inability to find data on the drive. The fact that is is beginning the boot then getting the BSOD would imply the drive is seen as, if it werent you would get a "No Bootable Device" error just after POST.
    I would run a chkdsk on the drive if you can take it out and attach it to another system or alternatively, go old school and make a bootable floppy. Only other option is to run a repair and/or reinstall OS.
    Let us know how you get on.

3. Solid_dean

Solid_dean What's a Dremel?

hi, yeh still not fixed it yet. Ive done a chkdsk on it with no joy there. I was thinking the virus must have either changed a file or the anti-virus removed the file I needed to get it into safe mode. I think I'm going to have to pull it out and attach it into a PC and do a restore using its CD drive.