1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling watercooling help with small bubbles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fohkus, 12 Dec 2006.

1. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

hey guys i finally decided to try watercooling again and i'm having a bit of trouble. While I managed to get no leaks, i'm having a case of bubbles, again. They are really small bubbles forming on the tubes.. and... basically everywhere. There is also foam too that i can't seem to get rid of. My setup consists of a tdx block, 8800gtx block, bay res, and 1/2 tubing. It goes from pump > cpu > gpu > radiator > res > pump

Here are pics that you can see. The system has been running for over a day and nothing has changed. In addition, the pump sounds very loud so i'm guessing there is an air pocket in there? I took a pic of the res so u can see that the water level is relatively high. I did not top if off because i'm afraid of overfilling..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

leave the system off for a couple of hours.. or unplug everything except the pump from the psu and use something to short the psu to run.. do it 10 seconds at a time, tap the hoses and repeat, the bubbles should "go together" and exit into the res.. that's how i did it in my system..

3. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

well i was fed up with my setup lol and with the lack of time to work on it, i decided i should just stick to air cooling since im crippled without a system (on my friends). So I have decided to sell my goodies here along with my 8800gtx watercooled version.. if anyone is interested. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=125782

4. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

The problem is a simple one to solve....... you need to fill your res more.... the bubles are a compbination of 2 things... one as your pump moves water into that 15.25" bayres it makes thousands of little bubles as the water flow brakes the surface and moves into the bayres. as your pump sucks the water out it is pulling some of those bubles with it.

The other is that there is air in your system as you fill it up with water for the first time. it hides in little places but eventualy works it self out.

Just fill it up more. and then run it with the cap loose on the bay res for a little while and they will work them selves out.

5. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

if something as small as this is making you quit then maybe you wernt up to doing water cooling.

6. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

haha it was more than that trust me.. i was getting all kinds of leaks.. i ended up having a reservoir with a hairline crack.. i couldnt find where it was coming from it was driving me crazy. Ive owned watercooling systems in the past but never a high end 1/2 system so this is not my first time. I guess lazy would be the term.. rather than giving up.

7. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

even though you gave up, squeezing the tubing then releasing can also work to remove bubbles (dont hold for too long only like 1second)

8. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

hmm yeah i tried that but as LVmike mentioned the bubbles will just keep coming back so I probably should have topped out the reservoir.

9. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Hmm if you kept the system - leaving it running for a while (+ making sure the res was full..) would get rid of he bubbles...

10. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

yah craks are a problem with acrylic bayresesif you find the crack you can seal it using Cyano-Acrilate super glue.

1/2" systems have this buble problem more than smaller bore systems from what i have seen.

yah the leaks are a pain but you didnt kill anything so your lucky.

11. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

yeah.. oh well.. i will give this another try sometime in the future when i have more time. I will probably try with a smaller tubing diameter like 3/8 or something since this is not the first time ive had this bubble issue with 1/2. I guess ill practice with a crappier system first next time :p

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

id had a tiny bubble issue for a while...

there was a tiny amount of air stuck in the covered off side inlet of my DDC, and the small bubbles got into the loop.

I simply moved the case to a hole load of different angles, and that gave me a little extra air in the res to bleed out, and that basically solved the problem.

Tags: