1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits What's coming in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Jun 2011.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well, in all fairness we were using an Amiga that Commodore themselves didn't know existed. We once phoned up the offical helpline for assistance:

Operator: "What model do you have?"
    Me: "An Amiga 1500"
    Operator: "Sorry, that's not a model we make"
    Me: "Yes it is, what on earth do you think I'm looking at?"

Got to be honest, things are a hell of a lot easier than they used to be!

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Now if you'd have said Amiga 2000, they would have understood you. The A1500 was a UK only version of the 2000. The difference? A second floppy drive.

But yeah commodore should have known that.

4. Siskodata

Siskodata What's a Dremel?

I think Microsoft got lazy with tablet PCs and mobiles and lost the race. Yes the new interface in Windows 8 looks fine to be used on tablets as it was good to be used on mobiles but did Microsoft succeed in Windows Mobile 7. No the place was taken by Apple and Android phones which users prefer to WM7. How can Microsoft propose the same interface against the same competitors on another similar platform and think of wining this one I just cannot get it.

So this new interface won't work on desktop won't work on laptops and won't be liked on tablets plus that a Windows tablet will cost more then say an Android one cause of the required hardware to run the OS and the cost of the OS itself.

Back to desktops and laptops just one question is the OS interface found on an iPhone or iPad used on an Apple desktop or laptop?

5. Siskodata

Siskodata What's a Dremel?

6. leslie

leslie Just me!

Computers aren't like the old days when they were either a high end tool, or a hobby.

Today computers are an appliance, just like your washer and dryer. People don't care how it works, nor do they want to know, they just want it to do it's job. Sadly, this applies to many thing these days.

Many people these days are scared to even pick up a screwdriver. When was the last time your neighbors changed their own motor oil in their car (many areas won't even let you anymore)? How many of your neighbors even have a basic toolkit? Many of mine seem incapable of anything more than stringing up Christmas lights or hanging a picture frame.

Tags: Add Tags