1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Windows XP on a partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 24 Apr 2009.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

I have been partitioning a small portion of my main HDD solely for Windows XP & use the rest of the HDD for data storage... I know that this helps with keeping the fragmentation of Windows drive to a minimum and defragmenting the drive much faster...

However, I've always wondered physically how the partitions are formed on the HDD... I think I remember reading ages ages ago that the first partition on the HDD is created using the very outer edge of the HDD platters to form the first partition, and other partitions to follow are created on the inner part of HDD platters...

If this is true, then if the Windows XP has been installed on to this partition, then Windows XP will perform at its optimal performance as the outer edge of the HDD platters read/write speed are far better than the most inner edge of the HDD platter(s)... I hope this is true, as this would help my mind feel at rest and I haven't wasted years of using Windows XP on the slowest part of the HDD...

Can anyone comfirm this please?

Cheers!... :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yes, that is correct. :)

3. trueno!

awesome

Excellent... :rock:

Another Question!?

As you say mm vr the first partition is created from the outer edge of the HDD platters going inwards towards the middle of the platters... however, does the partition that is created uses a portion of each platter for that partition or does it create partitions on the top platter only and further partitions are created following on from the last partition created which in this case the top platter, then on the next platter if the partition is bigger than the size of the top platter and so forth for following platters...

Could u confirm this please!?

Cheers

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

That's an interesting question, never thought of it myself!

I don't know the answer, but would like to hear it aswell. :) I hope somebody knows.

5. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

I agree, OS takes the very first edge of your HDD, the larger the partition for your OS, the faster it will perform. Just my experience though

6. trueno!

I don't quite understand what you wrote here?... could you elaborate on this please?...