1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Wont post

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Omoobhs, 11 Feb 2013.

1. Omoobhs

Omoobhs One giant fsb hole

ok, so my pc wont post this morning- I am wondering if anyone can offer guidance to confirm my fears.

I get a single click sound (not sure from where) when I power on the motherboard, but nothing powers up. The Motherboard power light is on.
    I have tested a few things (PSU, gfx cards) but the point that concerns me is this:

When I unplug the CPU 12v the motherboard powers on fully but I get a cpu error LED (as expected). But this atleast tells me roughly where to continue my hunt.

As I have tested this same symptom with another PSU.

Does this indicate the CPU has given up?

Any advise, opinions, all appreciated.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2013
  2. Omoobhs

Ok - It's not the CPU (phew)

Which leave me with it being a short or a Motherboard fault I think.

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Try the mobo out of the case to rule out a short-circuit issue ( unlikely given it's been fine up until now however).

Click sound is probably a relay in the PSU- does it do this with the other PSU?

If you have another mobo to test all the other components with, that would be handy..

4. Omoobhs

Thanks for the reply!

I have tested with a different PSU and get the same symptom.

The whole setup in on a test bench at the moment, although it was before the issue started so I will remove it this weekend and see how I get on.

I currently feel this is going to be a short on the mobo or a actual motherboard failure of some sort. Will post back this weekend with the outcome.

Cheers!

5. Omoobhs

So, it continues...

I purchased a new CPU & motherboard.

- I tested the new CPU in my old motherboard to rule out the CPU, had the same symptoms as the original fault.

- I then swapped out the motherboard & re-tested, again with the new CPU. The motherboard turns on which was good to see, but the CPU_LED is on constantly and is red and it does not post.
    Tested with my original CPU in the new board - same result.

Checked both boards for bent pins - all straight & tested different PSU's each time, same outcome.

Now my concern is that my old motherboard probably died & took the original CPU with it. When I tried the new cpu in the old board, I think it killed it.

Does this seem likely?

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

CPUs tend to be hard things to kill, even after power issues, though I suppose it is possible- have you ruled out the RAM yet though?

7. Omoobhs

Have been testing with 1 stick since I started this one, not used all sticks yet though so will check. The mobo has a RAM test which shows no fault when I tested with all the ram installed, but it's a logical point.

Found out this afternoon that there was a power cut the night before this failed to boot so thinking it got surged at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, more testing tomorrow...

8. Omoobhs

turns out the motherboard had fried in a power cut and became a CPU killer.

New board & cpu - system up and running, just a shame I killed 2 cpu's in the process.