1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development visual basic + access 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by zer0_c00l, 28 Jun 2005.

1. zer0_c00l

zer0_c00l What's a Dremel?

hey guys i am wondering what is the control that i use to connect to a access 2000 database because the default one that is "DATA" as the control name only works with access 97 and that is a pain to have to convert them. so if you can tell me the control name or give me a link to download it that would be great.

also what do i have to do to get the program(vb) to save the records i edit in the database.
    TNX

NB: I have search and found no useful information any help is good help thanks again guys/girls

2. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

IIRC you use that control but must have service pack 6 or greater installed to use an access 2000 database.

3. zer0_c00l

i dont have that control where do you get it

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

TBH, I would use ANY control for that purpose. They are much better in .NET, but in VB6 they aren't the most efficient - it is always better to code it yourself. Ok, it a bit more work, but the performance & reliability will be much better.

CJM

5. zer0_c00l

that would be great if i new anything about programing controls which i dont i mess around with very basic stuff. as i dont have much time to teach my self sry so can u make one for me or redirect me to one that will work well with access databases

6. Ang3lFir3

Ang3lFir3 What's a Dremel?

Are you writing this in vb6 or .Net? what do you expect to be doing with the data?

the reasons i ask this is that in many cases using a data control is not necessary.... somethings can be done with just ADO. as for the version of VB you are using that will determine how you can interact with the data since there were many changes from ado to ADO.net namely the loss of the recordset object (you can still use it but you gotta dig it outta vb6 classes AFAIK)

the following information pertains to .NET and ado.net:

when using a dataset to view/edit records you can then update the database with the dataset information using the dataset functions (i don't use them normally so i could be a little off)

using ADO you can send SQL update/create/alter etc commands to the database using oMyOleDBCommand.executenonquery()

in VB6 you can just use standard ADO (which i actually learned in ASP first)

You probably know all this already but maybe it helped a little...if not you maybe it can help someone else on their way to working with data programaticly....

also note that you can use JRO (Jet) to programaticly compact and repair your database periodicly.....

now when it comes to the dataset controls for viewing and making changes to data i haven't done any of that since my work is mostly in automation :(

// was i just totally off topic and deserving of being slapped on my first post?...

7. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

You could just use the wizards that microsoft has provided. They will get you started with all the basic stuff

8. zer0_c00l

heys guys i asked my teacher and he showed me how to do what i needed thanks for the help anyways