Networks wireless internet without a router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rick, 28 Jun 2005.

1. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

is it possible to get wireless internet without using a wireless router?
    my idea is to get 2 wireless adapters to link my pc's then have the one with the net connection connected to the net then would the seccond pc be able to share its net connection?

2. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

No I don't think that is possible, the best alternative to a wireless router is a wireless access point. Then you would need 2 adaptors to use both pcs wirelessly. Exactly the same for a router apart from the access point plugs into a port on your wired router.

3. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

"my idea is to get 2 wireless adapters to link my pc's then have the one with the net connection connected to the net then would the seccond pc be able to share its net connection?" yes but you computer with the internet connection will need to be on if the seccond computer wants to use the internet :thumb:

4. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

I didn't know that, I thought you had to have a router or access point. I didn't realise 2 adapters could be used :hehe:

5. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

so i guess that thumbs up means my idea would work then.
    would i have to use my isp's program to access the net on the 2nd pc or would it just work by opening IE?
    also if i added a router so i didnt have to have the main pc on to access the net would my isp's program have to be run to access the net?

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

PC1 would connect to the net using which ever method you preffer, this would then act as an internet gateway.
    On your second PC you would just open up IE or browser of your choice and go surfing.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

8. jake

jake Network Gawd

The Adhoc mode of 802.11 allows for peer to peer connections between cards without an access point. It is, however, an optional feature not supported by all cards.

J

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Ad-Hoc mode would be what you need, you could use ICS, but I suggest a proxy would be more stable, ICS has too many connection problems and sometimes you aren't able to connect. At school (residential) my computer was connected to the sixth form proxy, which was connected to another proxy, I set up my computer as a proxy over wireless, and my laptop connected via ad-hoc mode to my computer, works really well!

10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Personally I havent found a situation that couldnt be better resolved with a wireless router when talking about adhoc. You will most likely save yourself alot of headache and hassel by using a router.

11. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Using ad-hoc isn't hard at all, its more or less the same as using a router, and I think the signal is slightly stronger too, in my experience anyway.

12. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

I never said it was hard I said it can be a headache as you are adding more variables and possible issues into the solution.

13. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I have a setup that allows any pc within range that has my SSID and WEP to connect to my main computer. it is pretty much always on anyway.

However, does anyone know how to change the SSID? Because mine is just one letter repeated.

Tags: