1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Help with ACCESS!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by akanekal, 13 Jun 2005.

1. akanekal

akanekal What's a Dremel?

Hi. I know that this is really not much to do with programming. I need to create database in Access listing loads of albums, the artist and such. I also need to create a form that lets you search each of them. For instance, I would need to have a box in which you type the artist's name then in box underneath it, you all of the matching results would come up. So if you typed P into the search box, all of the artists in the database with their names beginning with P would come up in the box underneath the search. When you have chosen an artist from the box with the list of the artists, in a next box, all of the albums by that artist would be shown. Then I need the same thing with tracks. Also, I need everything to be cross searchable so that I could type in the track name and then see all of the artists that made a song with that name. Also, I need to be able to do this with album names. In addition, I need to be able to have a stats page for the album, artist, or track. For the track I would need the length, the album from which it is and any thing else which would be relevant for the track. For the album, i need the total length and a list of all of the tracks and anything else relevant. For the artist, i need all of the albums they made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can tell me how or, even better, give me a small example i would be very happy. Thanks in advance! Amit!

Last edited: 13 Jun 2005
  2. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Wow -

First off, excel is not a database application. Access :)grr: :wallbash: ), mssql, oracle, mysql, etc are all database programs. You would possibly be able to use excel for this, but it would bring your computer to its knees because it IS NOT A DATABASE.

Second, have you ever used iTunes? It is a free download for windows and mac os. It gives you all of these things and it is already written.

If you are going to build this, please don't try to use excel - use access or my sql. I don't know anything about your programming background, but VB or C++ would probably be just fine for writing your app.

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Why excel?

why on earth excel.

To do this in excel, you will need to use VBA (Visual BASIC for Applications)

A much better way to do this would be to use a database program (say access).
    Better yet something like .net. Is there any reason you have to use Excel?

4. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Sounds like a college assignment to me....

If you use access its pretty simple to create a front end using visual basic. You can then incorporate a search feature into that.

5. akanekal

akanekal What's a Dremel?

ARGH... SOOOZZZZ i meant Access... i was in my school library at the time... i was concentrating on too many things!! lol

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

enter button makes ur requests more easily read.

breaks up the thoughts into seperate statments.

If this is a school assignment, its very simple and you should know everything you need from lessons, if not post here with specific problems and someone generally will awnser swiftly.

If its not, google up some access tutorials, these are often version specific, they should give you an idea of how to start.

7. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.